Laser disc ac-3 output

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by dano582, Oct 17, 2013.

1. dano582

dano582 Extra

daniel barreto
    So I've had a laserdisc player since 03 I had a pioneer s201 which doesn't have rf out for Dolby digital track . Well the other day at a thrift shop I found a nice lot they had around 30 discs at 50 cents each so I bought them all . So I went on eBay and bought a pioneer d504 with rf out so should I get an external rf decoder or buy an older receiver with an ac3 input the receiver I have is a denon 6.1 its a low end receiver so maybe a old pioneer elite might sound better, any thoughts on which way to go?

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I would go with the RF modulator.

Otherwise AVR is based on your needs.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    By the way, welcome to HTF, Daniel! A lot of us got started in this hobby with laserdisc.

4. dano582

dano582 Extra

daniel barreto
    Thanks for the welcome steve, I first got a laser disc player cause it reminded me of when I was younger, I wanted one but couldn't afford it plus I like having every format lol I have my DVD player, bluray, laser disc, HD DVD, I even thought about getting a dvhs player but I don't think there's to many titles for that format . I wish I could get my hands on a muse hi def laser disc but those are rare and pricey I love old technology just as much as new technology

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    My DVHS stopped working. It is still the only place to see True Lies in high def.I lost most of my laserdiscs to water and mold. But I recently acquired 1776 Pioneer Special Edition and Criterion Robocop from eBay. And I watched the extended cut of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World recently (one of the few discs that survived).I was a hardcore laserdisc enthusiast in the day.

6. dano582

dano582 Extra

daniel barreto
    Wow they don't have true lies on bluray? I was watching 2 days ago on laser disc, I love that movie its an action moves with some great comedy moments . A true classic

7. YANG

YANG Second Unit

Well... i recently got a Laserdisc player for free, when the company is throwing/clearing away the A/V junks which in previous years was used for presentation purpose.
    My old laserdiscs got a reprieve, especially now with a new PHILIPS Soundbar with optical input installed. Even though i can't get a full AC3 presentation, i'm glad that some titles with beefy soundtrack gets presented in it's full glory!

Today i just played APOCALYPSE NOW, the original PARAMOUNT release.
    Nearly got a police visit when i played the BEACH ATTACK scene on both LASERDISC and DVD REDUX versions for audio comparison.
    [PHILIPS SOUNDBAR]- HTB5150...