What's new

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Before the Reavon UBR-X200 the market was hurting for UDP representation. Since Oppo decided to exit the 4K UHD disc player market in 2017, many wondered if another manufacturer would pick up the mantle. However, despite the naysayers and promoters of streamed media, the shiny disc continues to buck predicted trends of diminishing sales. An extraordinary slate of 4K UHD Blu-ray disc titles hit the market over the past year. And even though everyone thought it was game over for players – including LG and presumably Pioneer – Panasonic forged ahead with their spectacularly good DP-UB9000 and DP-UB820 spinners. The first of these was the only model left on the market until recently to sport a rugged steel full-width 17.4-inch chassis and faceplate. Panasonic clearly wanted everyone to know it was now the only manufacturer in town offering punters a chance to own a grown-up player. It was certainly one that could sustain the rigors of permanent location in a 19-inch rack.

Continue reading...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
By universal disc playback, do.you mean all.region locked DVDs and BDs, as well as legacy 3D discs?

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
By universal disc playback, do.you mean all.region locked DVDs and BDs, as well as legacy 3D discs?
Yes, it will play 3D Blu-rays, but 'universal' is a somewhat subjective term, meaning in this case that it will play CD, SACD and DVD-A's MLP files after future F/W update, as I understand it. It also refers to all video discs minus HD DVD (but not to region unlocking).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes, it will play 3D Blu-rays, but 'universal' is a somewhat subjective term, meaning in this case that it will play CD, SACD and DVD-A's MLP files after future F/W update, as I understand it. It also refers to all video discs minus HD DVD (but not to region unlocking).

Thanks. I don't have anything in the way of SACDs or DVD-A discs, so the cheaper version of this would have been a possible purchase if it could play region-locked discs.

Still looking for a good quality player that can do that and has a good remote.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For any Canadians that may be interested in either the UBR-X200 or 100 they are available for purchase in Canada through ZappitiStore. The 200 referred to by Martin is priced at C$2199, while the 100 is priced at C$1069. They are showing in stock.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Disappointing that the X100 does not support SACD.
Yes. In my case that is not a negative since I don't have any SACDs or DVD-As and both of those formats are essentially dead anyway. Still it is odd why adding the ability to play those audio formats adds US$ 800 dollars to the player cost. Seems excessive to me for two formats that are for all intents and purposes dead.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And you also get the analogue audio outs with dedicated DACs: 7.1 x RCA, 2 x XLR, 2 x RCA
That is probably where most of the extra cost comes in to play. The Canadian price differential is even worse if a person wants the audiophile capabilities of the player: basically 1100 more.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
And you also get the analogue audio outs with dedicated DACs: 7.1 x RCA, 2 x XLR, 2 x RCA
I get why the X200 is so much more money, but am not sure why they decided to exclude SACD playback from an $800 player. Both models probably share a lot of components and firmware, so it could not have added much to the cost of the X100. Without SACD & DVD-Audio playback, I wouldn't be interested, and since I do not need the additional analog output features of the X200 there is no way I would spend that premium price just to get SACD / DVD-Audio support.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I generally think I would rather have my receiver do any audio processing rather than a player, so I would just want a straight pass through. I think the ESS32 Sabre DACs on my A3060 are as capable as the Burr-Browns on the player.

Frankly, I don't think my aging ears could ever tell a difference at this point in time.

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
I believe DVD-A (MLP) will be available via F/W update on the X100 too. I get the impression both players will evolve considerably via updates, but you're right, Scott, that these players are a big financial commitment if they don't satisfy a specific shopping list.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Oppos started out as very inexpensive players but prices racheted up as new players were introduced. If Oppo were around today they may well cost $800 or $1600. I'd wait on a Reavon until a full technical review of their video processing has been completed.
Does anyone know which optical drive Reavon uses and will spares be available for at least ten years?

Chris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
The x100 player seems to take on some Oppo qualities and it's also downgraded in some capabilities.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Reavon player uses the Mediatek 8581 SoC processor which is 5 year old tech; however, from my reading that chip is still pretty well the only one made for UHD players.

aptiana

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Crawley
I bought my Oppo 203 with multi region and zone in 2017.

I thought I saw somewhere that you could change zone/region on the Reavon from a service menu but I have not been able find that again to confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks