Rare I, Robot DVD Cover??? NOT!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Harold Wazzu, May 17, 2005.

1. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

I hope this is the right place for this, here goes. I was snoopin around ebay and found a few auctions for the 2004 edition of I, Robot and they were sayin something like "Rare, recalled dvd cover" I was like, "Really?"

Anyways, I went and checked my version and these guys are pretty desperate to unload 2004 versions. All it is, is the dvd without the slipcover. They are saying it's a rare, recalled version. What a crock!!! Buyers beware...

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    [​IMG] I can imagine some people doing that on ebay too. What was the highest bid on them?

I won't even touch ebay for new releases that are readily available. The only time I order dvd's from ebay is if they are OOP or just very hard to find. For example the only ones I ordered so far are The Hidden SE, Fly Away Home SE and See No Evil, Hear No Evil.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I saw a used widescreen copy of Catwoman in the story the other day with a cover I had never seen before. The front cover had a close up of Halle Berry's face instead of the body shot which I've seen everywhere else. I didn't think that much about it, but thought I'd ask here given the thread topic.

At first I just figured it was a different cover than the fullscreen release...but a quick check in the new section of the same store showed me they used the body shot on both releases. Upon close inspection the head shot cover looked quite legitimate. Any ideas?

4. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

I snooping around the Bond DVD section on EBAY and found something similar.

A guy was trying to sell rare 'one of a kind' Bond DVDs.

Turns out the only thing different was the titles had a 007 contest sticker on the shrink wrap.

The contest was over years ago and who cares about a sticker on the shrink!

5. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Catwoman cover is the same situation, the close up of her face is what is on the keepcase, the full body shot was the cardboard slip cover.

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    BBV hAD two different covers.
    the first one had the robot on the cover.
    then a week or so later they sent us a box that had will on the cover replacing the robot with a memo that said we would rent more copies with will and not the robot on the cover

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Thanks, Rocky! I can't believe I didn't notice that when I had them side-by-side.

8. Bob clamer

Bob clamer Supporting Actor

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

That's the one I saw! I wonder what's up? A rarity? [​IMG]

10. Alex-A

Alex-A Stunt Coordinator

Jeez, I feel sorry for anyone who bids on those I Robot DVDs based soley on that rarity story. What a bunch of crap. Obviously some people like to make money off of other people's stupidity...

11. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Yeah, but you'd think that the people anal enough to be into caring about rare DVD covers, would be the same people with the knowledge/tools to check out if it's true.

12. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Yeesh. Rare coevrs usually only work in the comic book world.

13. Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony Stunt Coordinator

Let the buyer beware...indeed! I tried to find the original version of "The Bourne Identity" (with director's commentary) on DVD, and stumbled upon a seller with a different cover version through amazon.com. Unfortunately, the DVD turned out to be pirated with no commentary, and no surround sound, even the back was misprinted incorrectly (music by Bijork). [​IMG]

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Do ya suppose that Catwoman cover was an original choice that got recalled, but some slipped through?

I can't imagine they made some kind of a limited run of a different cover just for the sake of doing so.

15. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

Does the special edition, due tomorrow, contain the movie's theatrical trailers? I can't find those on any listings.

16. adrian b

adrian b Stunt Coordinator

fyi...catwoman was indeed issued with 2 different covers...the close up shot appears to have been issued on a very short run (it came with the full body shot slip cover though - so you had to look for it). i don't know why they did this but they did. Movie was pretty bad but as a collector of all things strange, it got me to buy 2 different copies within the 1st week of release :b .

Other covers that were like this:
    - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure: (where the 1st run had 2 pics of Bill's (Alex Winter) head on the spine.
    - Basic Instinct (most recent pressing): 3 Versions - 1. hard plastic box with ice-pick pen, 2. keep case with a silver finished slip cover 3. keep case with a normal finished slip cover.
    - The Terminator: 2 Versions - 1. Initial run with a silver finished slip cover, 2. Current release with normal finished slip cover.

that's all i can think of right now..............

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Thanks, adrian. Even though I love Halle Berry, I never saw the movie and have no plans to own the DVD so I don't know why i've spent this much time even thinking about it. Just curious I guess.

If Harold hadn't started this thread on the I, Robot covers, I probably would have forgotten all about it. BTW, Harold, sorry about trying to hijack your thread! :b [​IMG]

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    hasnt anyone noticed that the head shot "rare" cover of catwoman is the full frame version of the movie?

look at the pic right on the ebay link. when i was in bb today i looked and it is the full frame version with the big head.

never mind [​IMG]

19. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Mike, no worries, least I stirred up somethin interesting [​IMG]

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Tony:

Like I said in my first post on the subject, the "rare" Catwoman head shot cover I saw was widescreen.

Harold: [​IMG] But, I'm really not sure how interesting any of this is! [​IMG]

I kinda feel like I'm lost in the middle of a bad Seinfeld episode!