What's new

Ranks right up there with "Ellery Queen" (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

About two weeks ago, the seventies Ellery Queen series came out on DVD, to the joy of its fans. Next year, It Takes a Thief is being released by the same company.

Those two series' have their fans, but I find myself racking my head trying to remember what other programs rank up there in the favorite detective/spy genre like them, that have their following like those two.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what other shows fit in the Ellery Queen genre? Anybody have any ideas?

James

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I'd say Burke's Law is the most similar to Ellery Queen in format and tone. Murder, She Wrote is a close cousin, too. The Eddie Capra Mysteries and Richie Brockelman were in the same vein, as was Nero Wolfe with William Conrad. Perry Mason is a little less willing to poke fun at itself, but clearly an ancestor. Crossing to the north, the Canadian series The Great Detective is pretty close.

There are obviously lots of other mystery shows, but most are either darker in tone or far less concerned with intricate plotting.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
You could factor in the hardy boys as well. They dropped clues and you had to figure it out. There was also a series of clue movies as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks