What's new

Radio Shack analog SPL meter being discontinued (1 Viewer)

Robert AG

Stunt Coordinator
The reason for the meters below the screen is that they are in the mixer's field of view - they don't have to take their eyes off the screen to be able to keep tabs on levels.

These screen meters go both ways now (in Hollywood at least) with most of the meters using LEDs in an arc like a tradtional VU meter (but lots of them) in meters made by Dorrough. Warner Bros. has some stages that have TV monitors lined up under the screen with a digitally created "analog" VU meter displayed on them. Some stages have projected images of actual VU meters. Personally, I find that even the relatively high LED count Dorrough meters are distracting to look at because of the discrete nature of their flashing as the sound level changes. Good 'ol buff-colored-background VU meters are easy to look at all day long. They just cost over $100 a pop.

RS has not had analog meters in Canada apparently for a long time (the guy looked at me weird when I asked for one). Apparently they only sell the digital ones up here.

Makes me sad they are getting rid of the analog one since I'm a cheapass and had been planning on getting one the next time I wandered over the border)

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased the Craftsman for a friend and it works just fine. While not quite as aesthetically pleasing as the ol' RS analog, it now sports a fully integrated board (SMT) but all functions are the same. $40 is still great deal for ease of calibrating your audio.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
My father is currently in the process of setting up some new gear in his system, including some new Dynaudio speakers. He had asked to borrow my analog SPL meter.

When I first got wind of Radio Shack discontinuing the analog meter, I headed to our local store to see if they might have any left.

I GOT THE LAST ONE IN THE STORE, AND DAD GOT AN EARLY CHRISTMAS PRESENT!! He also stated that he preferred the analog over the digital. I can't wait to hear his new set-up!!

VinhT

Second Unit
The big question from me is, does the digital meter read bass frequencies the same as the analog one? In other words, will the digital meter be usable with the known correction factors of the analog one for subwoofer equalization use?

GraysonAng

Stunt Coordinator
Radio shack now has a new version of the Analog meter for 39.99.

Link

Is this the same or better than the previous analog version?

Should I spend the extra $10 for the digital version?

Thanks,
Grayson

PaulT

Supporting Actor
The 'new' analog unit is also now available in Canada.

Does anyone know if the correction values are the same for the old and new units?

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Is this the same or better than the previous analog version?
It's the same only different. It's just been re-packaged.

I'll say this about the digital, you can't damage the meter movement with excessive SPLs.

I've had the same analog unit since (uh-oh) the late 70's. I tried the digital when it came out for the [rant]GEE-WIZZ!!![/rant] factor. I took it back. I felt the early ones were too course. Chalk me up as an analog bigot.

Anyone else got a vintage Cat.No. 42-3019? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks