What's new

Radeon VE/Pio 106 - When I maximize player.. my pc restarts??? (1 Viewer)

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
FYI.. I just built this pc and it consists of: Abit KG7/AMD XP1600, Pioneer DVD106s, 256MB Crucial (reg/ecc), ATI Radeon VE & Santa Cruz TB.

I put in a dvd and the ATI player opens in a small screen.. Whether I go into the menu or just hit the maximize button the screen will go black and the pc will restart.

What's wrong?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I put in a dvd and the ATI player opens in a small screen.. Whether I go into the menu or just hit the maximize button the screen will go black and the pc will restart.

Same here. This bug has been around for awhile. Works like magic on my machine in Win 2K. Click the "Maximize" button and it's restart time. This had better be fixed soon.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Interesting "feature." Is this something specific to the DVD Drive?

FWIW, I'm running WinXP, Radeon 7000 (7000/VE Drivers are same for XP), SBLive!, and a Tosh M1402 drive, and I don't have this problem.

However, hardware acceleration doesn't appear to be working, and I can't get the drive in DMA. Go figure!

Todd

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Tom,

This may be an obvious question but do you have the latest drivers for the Vid card, DVD drive, Santa Cruz, and Motherboard?

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I have the lastest driver for the Radeon. The Santa Cruz I'm having a problem with.. It downloads to a certain point and stops/breaks connection. I've tried four times. The motherboard I don't know.. do you mean the lastest bios? The DVD player driver I can't find? I'd also like to know how I can make it a region free player.. Any help??

Thanks

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
Okay.. I downloaded the Santa Cruz driver from Windows Update. How do I know the driver is installed.. is it automatic?

Anyway.. That didn't fix the problem. It's sort of a different problem. I put in a movie, opened up the ATI player menu, chose widescreen, and selected full monitor. When I did this.. it put my monitor into sleep mode but the pc did not reboot.. and I could hear the movie playing through the speakers..??? I ejected the movie and hit the reboot button because the monitor would not come back on.

Now every time I try to open the ATI dvd.. my monitor will go into sleep mode.. this is BS.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Okay.. I downloaded the Santa Cruz driver from Windows Update. How do I know the driver is installed.. is it automatic?
It's not automatic, you "install" it like you would an application. Double-click on the file you downloaded to start the installation process. As you said this may not fix the problem.

Maybe try using a different program to view DVD's. It sounds like your problem is with the ATI FilePlayer.

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
Forgive me.. I'm new to downloading drivers. Where would it be? I went to Windows Update and selected download and it did.. But it doesn't tell me where it is or anything after it's done..?

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know.. I looked at device manager and the drivers looked pretty recent. You sure it's not automatic?

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
It seems you're talking about two different things. If you went to "Windows Update" and followed the directions you updated drivers for your Operating System. What I was suggesting earlier in this thread was to go to this page Santa Cruz Drivers and right click on the driver file for the Windows version you are running (Win98, ME, 2000, NT, XP) save it on your hard drive (I usually save it to my Desktop). Then after the file is downloaded double-click on it and follow the instructions.
To make matters a little more complicated, the driver files are "zipped", so you need to have WinZip installed as well.

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know John.. At the bottom of my Windows Update page it had "Device Drivers".. Radeon and Turtle Beach were there so I downloaded them. I don't think they were in the form of a zip because Turtle beach took about an hour or so.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reconbo
Recent bookmarks