Attempting to put together a PC ..How am I doing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Garvey, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Tom Garvey

Tom Garvey Stunt Coordinator

This is my first attempt.. I'm not sure if this all works together. I know I need a fan or fans but not sure what to get..? I was also unsure about the power supply. Do I need more cables? How fast is the processor and is it a good one? The total right now is $684 and I don't want to go too much higher. Any help would be appreciated...

EVERCASE E4252W005, Intel P4/AMD, 10-Bay Truely Screw less ATX MID Tower Case. BEIGE

24-Inch, Teflon Coated, IDE True ATA100, Flat Cable for IDE Hard Drives, CD ROM, DVD ROM or CDRW, 3-Connector, 66/100, 24 Inches Long. Please see image.

ABIT KG7 AMD761 ATX MOTHERBOARD

OEM ATI RADEON 7200 64MB 4X/2X AGP

ENERMAX EG365P-VE( FC ). 350W Power supply for AMD K7 & Pentium4. Fan on/off controlled by M/B ~ Real "Sleeping Mode" support. Meet AMD K7 and Intel 2.03 Version. Dual cooling fan design

CRUCIAL MICRON 256MB 32x64 PC 2100 DDR RAM

SONY 1.44MB 3.5 INCH INTERNAL FDD DRIVE

WESTERN DIGITAL WD300BB CAVIAR 30GB 7200RPM - Hard Drive

LITE-ON LTR-24102B-01 24x10x40 CDRW

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Xgamer

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

2. Tom Garvey

I guess it would help if I had a processor :b How 'bout this one...

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz 266MHz FSB Socket A PGA PROCESSOR

3. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Tom,
    Everything sounds good so far.
    I'd personally dump the Sound Blaster card though and replace it with a Hercules card.
    Also, if you can afford it I'd up the proc speed (not really a must, but going up an extra .2/.33GHz wouldn't hurt), and seeing as Ram is so damn cheap maybe as well add another 256MB stick. WinXP will appreciate it [​IMG]

4. Tom Garvey

Andy.. Thanks for the reply. I was trying to keep my costs at ~ $750. I'm currently at $814 shipped and I think I still need a few things.. like a modem and more cables?

I'm currently using a 233MHz/MMX/64MB/6GB.. so this would be a nice upgrade.. no? I will be using it for business, wordprocessing and surfing... Quickbooks, some landscape software and photo stuff. It will not be used for gaming or dvd... well, maybe a couple of games.

5. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Tom,
    now that I have a better understanding of what you will be using it for and what you are upgrading from you will be fine...more then fine actually.
    (I would still dump the Sound Blaster though...but if it's already been bought, and you can't return it, don't worry)
    Have fun with your new PC!
    Oh, just one question. I would also forget about the modem, unless of course you need it for dial-up internet, in which case I would suggest moving to DSL/Cable if it's available where you live and you don't mind paying the extra cost.
    Hmm, maybe I should just keep my mouth shut...it seems everytime I open it I'm trying to get you to spend more money. [​IMG]