What's new

Rachael's recipe for covered music dishes (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'll find that record eventually Dome and then I'll digitize it. It's lost in a big pile for the time being.:) I'm digitizing music from my analog stacks when I have time. So many notes and so little thyme...

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I finished my 2 disc set of Kuntry Kovered. Disc 2 is over at my mom's in my portable so I'l list it later after listening to it on headphones whilst riding my grass inhibitor vehicle about the yard this eve.

Kuntry Kovered Uno

1. Barefoot Jerry SUMMIT RIDGE DRIVE
2. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM
3. Karla Bonoff WHEN YOU WALK IN THE ROOM
4. Dwight Yoakam WICHITA LINEMAN
5. Steve Earle STATE TROOPER
6. K.D. Lang SMOKE DREAMS
7. Friends Of Dean Martinez TENNESSEE WALTZ
8. Dolly Parton IF
9. Linda Ronstadt BIRDS
10. Dwight Yoakam THINGS WE SAID TODAY
11. Barefoot Jerry FADED LOVE
12. Jerry Douglas LITTLE MARTHA
13. Rory Block TRAVELING RIVERSIDE BLUES
14. Friends Of Dean Martinez WICHITA LINEMAN
15. Alison Krauss NOW THAT I'VE FOUND YOU
16. Jorma Kaukonen JUST BECAUSE
17. Grant-Lee Phillips HICKORY WIND
18. Linda Ronstadt ICY BLUE HEART
19. Joe Weed GREEN ONIONS
20. Goose Creek Symphony OLD KENTUCKY HOME
21. Dwight Yoakam GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES

Vol-moo-ness dos later....

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I got stormed out on the grass inhibiting...

Kountry Kovers Dos

1. Area Code 615 HEY JUDE
2. Dwight Yoakam CLAUDETTE
3. Marc Benno SPLISH SPLASH
4. Maria Maldaur WALKING ONE & ONLY
5. Flying Burrito Brothers CLOSE UP THE HONKY-TONKS
6. Lefty Frizzell SHE'S GONE GONE GONE
7. K.D. Lang I WISH I DIDN'T LOVE YOU SO
8. Linda Ronsdadt LOSE AGAIN
9. Area Code 615 LADY MADONNA
10. Gene Parsons WILLIN'
11. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band BUY FOR ME THE RAIN
12. Flying Burrito Brothers TONIGHT THE BOTTLE LET ME DOWN
13. Dwight Yoakam PLAYBOY
14. Gram Parsons I CAN'T DANCE
15. Area Code 615 CLASSICAL GAS
16. Alison Krauss I WILL
17. Maria Muldaur MY TENNESSEE MOUNTAIN HOME
18. Michael Martin Murphey WHAT'S FOREVER FOR
19. Dolly Parton STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN
20. Linda Ronstadt I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU
21. K.D. Lang SHADOWLAND
22. Dwight Yoakam SIN CITY
23. Flying Burrito Brothers WILD HORSES
24. Joe Weed LAST DATE

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I got some great new covers albums, zee little psychedelic EP buy zee Rush dudes, Paul Weller's Studio 150, the Cowboy Junkies' little EP too, and the Alex Skolnick Trio's sweet little album of jazzy fusionistic rock covers.

So I made a new MD for my listening enjoyment. I hope it give's ya'all sum idears.;)

COVERED OVER

1. Rush - MR. SOUL
2. Paul Weller - HERCULES
3. Utopia - DO YA
4. Alex Skolnick Trio - PINBALL WIZARD
5. Santana - AS THE YEARS GO BY
6. Booker T. & The M.G.'s - Something
7. Red Hot Chili Peppers - HIGHER GROUND
8. Savoy Brown - I CAN'T GET NEXT TO YOU
9. Vivino Brothers - FAMILY AFFAIR
10. Paul Weller - THINKING OF YOU
11. Isaac Hayes - I JUST DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF
12. Rush - SHAPES OF THINGS
13. Utopia - 96 TEARS
14. Yes - I SEE YOU
15. Booker T. & The M.G.'s - Medley: BECAUSE / YOU NEVER GIVE ME YOUR MONEY
16. Arthur Conley - SPEAK HER NAME
17. Buckwheat Zydeco - TIME IS TIGHT

I'm thinking of making one more this week...? I'm hardly covered out yet.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Hmmm!

Start off with something by that wonderful a capella group the Bobs. Say, Searchin'. Just because if you listen closely you can tell that they are covering the Spencer Davis Group's cover of the original song!

I wonder if I can insert something from that curious album, The Masked Marauders? It's not covers. No, it's exactly the opposite. :D What?, you say. A music critic in Rolling Stone once wrote a fake record review, and a Warner executive working from his description made the album as a joke.
WAIT A MOMENT! I just remembered, there is a cover on there. To wit, that novelty song of 1954, I'm the Japanese Sandman (Rang Tang Ding Dong). Into the pot it goes.

Now a couple of classic Dylan covers. The Byrds doing My Back Pages, and the Band When I Paint My Masterpiece. I realise that is in a way cheating, but I don't care. :laugh:
Then that Japanese chick singing Patsy Cline's hit I Fall to Pieces off that record my sister got at SXSW. Whole rest of the disc is screaming J-Punk...

Lemme go run my fingers down the album spines and I'll come back with some more titles.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Okay, a couple of items from that "supergroup" fad, back when people cared about music [between the introductions of the compatible stereo cartridge and the VCR]. Beck, Bogert, Appice with Superstition, and Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills doing -I could put in another Dylan cover but instead- Season of the Witch. Just because it validates Kooper's claim on the jacket that the tracks were performed spontaneously. I don't think anybody, with the possible but not absolutely certain exception of Donovan himself, would deliberately set out to put that ona a record.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael-

Have you heard Daniel Lanois' cover of "As Tears Roll By', off of Shine?
I assume its a cover... I don't believe I've ever heard another version- shameful. Great song. The whole album is really good.

Thats whats left of my 2 cents, after taxes...

Jimmy

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jimmy I have not heard that cover of When Tears Go By. I have Marianne Faithful doin' that one. I think Chris Farley did it too...?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Christopher, I'd forgotten about that B,B & A cover that I have. It'll go on my next one I'm planning up... Myself, I kind'a like Donovan's Season Of The Witch. I'd use SS'es.I wish the alleged SA-CD of SS would materialize!:)

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
I must be mistaken- Lanois does "As Tears Roll By", not "When Tears Go By". Must not be the same tune. Oh Well. Yet another cover opportunity in that comment- "Oh Well" by original Fleetwood Mac lineup covered by the Rockets in 79 and again by Joe Jackson in 91. I prefer the original full length version though, admittedly, I have not heard Jacksons' version. Guess I need to get "Laughter and Lust".

Jimmy

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The one I was thinkin' of is the Stones' and I missed the word's difference Jimmy. Hey, I have a Rockets vinyl. I'm gonna check it for that song. I only have one Joe Jackson album, forget which one for sure...NIGHT AND DAY, maybe? I'm gonna make yet another cover disc next week.

You thinkin' of burnin' one too?:)

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Rachael,
Not a fan of U2? I don't recall any of their covers on your lists. Anyway, the U2 cover of Patty Smith's "Dancin' Barefoot" is a favorite of mine, although I've always suspected that Patty Smith's songs are so good anyone can cover them successfully. Also, I recall Dwight Yoakum's cover of Elvis' "Suspicious Minds" being a bit of fun. I belive it can be found on a Soundtrack that contains nothing but Elvis covers. I believe the movie was.....damn, my mind is failing....I'm going to hate myself when I remember the name of the movie....

As to one of your questions from way back in the thread, the only time I was fooled into thinking a cover was the original occured because I discovered Jimi Hendrix before Bob Dylan, the original author of "All Along the Watchtower".

Now you need to create a new cover category/disc: the rap cover. To this day I cringe when I hear the first few notes of "Under Pressure" [Queen/Bowie] in a public place and some stranger gets excited because he or she thinks that "Ice, Ice, Baby" is starting up.

-Steve

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael- My collection is not nearly as expansive as yours: maybe 2k+ cd's, a hundred or so 12" 'ers and a couple stacks o' 45's. I'll just enjoy your compilations vicariously for a while as I hear them in my head- thanks for the mental soundtracks!

I will, however, continue to play along with suggestions... great fun it is!

Steve- speaking of crap 'er, rap, I don't, and never will, own any eminem discs but Tori Amos' cover of '97 Bonnie & Clyde is chilling.

Steve & Rachael- have you heard XTC's Dylan cover "All Along The Watchtower"? Quirky, jumpy sound with disjointed vocals that make you want to scream along with glee.

Jimmy

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. Great cover. U2/Bono's covers are hit-and-miss for me. His cover of Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" is awful.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Angelo-

Excuse my ignorance, but who did the original "When Tears Go By"?

Additionally, what is your take on U2's Beatle's cover of "Happiness is a Warm Gun"? I personally dig the funky groove. Granted, there's no topping the original, but U2 does put a unique spin on the song...

Jimmy

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Guyz, I used to listen to U2 quite a bit in the early dayz. I loved the Live At Red Rock album. I just sort of lost intrest in them over the years. I don't have all those covers but might have 1 or 2...?

Jimmy, I don't have HIAWG by U2 but I've heard it and I liked it. I'm gonna check my U2 albums for my next mental soundtrack that will go directy to your head.;) :)

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Can't wait for the brain-feed, Rachael!

A good Led Zep cover I've recently discovered is by a group called Maktub- They do a brooding, moody cover of the already brooding and moody "No Quarter" on their album "Khronos". Speaking of "No Quarter", the recent dvd release of the '94 Page/Plant show is really well done. Their updated take on "Kashmir" gave me goosebumps. I remember watching its original broadcast on MTV way back when, but seeing and hearing it again in DTS was a revelatory experience.

More covers of distinction: (Have these been mentioned yet?)
Stevie Ray's Hendrix tribute: Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) and his live cover of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition".

Sarah Mclachlan's cover of XTC's "Dear God" (Also covered recently by Tricky)

Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit" as covered by Siouxsee and the Banshees' and their dirge-like interpretation and also Tori Amos' version.

The Cure's take on The Doors' with their version of "Hello, I Love You (Unreleased Psychadelic Mix)" on the recent Join The Dots collection. Great rendition.

Track'em down If you don't already have'em!

Jimmy

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Also and in addition to:

Pat Benatar sings Kate Bush- "Wuthering Heights"

Concrete Blondes cover of James Browns- "Its a Man's Man's Man's World"

Not really sure if this one qualifies since they co-wrote it and both are featured on each version, but it does appear in different incarnations on their respective albums:
Laurie Anderson- "Excellent Birds"
Peter Gabriel- "This Is The Picture (Excellent Birds)"

Another cover by Peter Gabriel that I'm not sure if its so bad its good or so good its bad: his rendition of the Beatles' "Strawberry Fields Forever". Its either ouchie or wow, I haven't decided!

Jimmy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks