What's new

Quick X-Files Guide Please (1 Viewer)

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit

Thanks for the info, that's good to know. I've been waiting years to get my hands on The X-Files, but the extreme pricing of the original sets have always prevented me from purchasing. I could care less about extra features (I just want the episodes, although commentaries are nice), so these new sets are really up my alley, especially at $24.95 per season set!

MattHR

Screenwriter

I went to four different Best Buy stores on streetdate to buy the re-priced/re-packaged sets, and all four were sold out before 5 pm. I asked at each store, and was told they only received five copies of each! I took a raincheck. It seems rather ridiculous to advertise the sets at such a low price ($24.99 each, if all three are purchased) and not have the stock to meet the demand. One store told me they had given out almost 100 rainchecks that day.

One store had all previous sets marked down to $41.99, including seasons 4-9. Another had a large sign above the old sets indicating "These sets are not the ones featured in the ad and are NOT on sale!" They were marked at $91.99. Nice constistency. They're going to have a tough time moving them at that price in that packaging.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
There's a person on the IMDB X-Files board claiming that "Anasazi" isn't anywhere on Disc 6. You can read the thread here. Can anyone with the disc confirm that the disc actually has 5 episodes crammed onto it?

Ron Dodolak

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron

"Anasazi" was on the seventh ("bonus") disc from the Collector's Edition. Maybe they made a mistake and forgot the episode when they ditch the bonus discs.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, how they would include the episode without the disc was the first thing that came to mind when it was revealed that they lost the "extras" disc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
How do the episodes on that disc look compared to the other discs in that set? It would seem like putting that many on one disc would be a tight squeeze but maybe it's not so bad since none of the episodes have a DD 5.1 track.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if that person on IMDB got a copy that somehow contained a copy of the original Disc 6 from Season 2. Stranger things have happened.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Can somebody state for the record the difference between the two versions? I read somewhere that the extra features originally on disc 7 had been rearranged and put on some of the other discs. Is this true?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They've removed the bonus discs from the sets. Those features aren't moved to the other discs. The extras that were on the first six discs are still there (which consist of a few deleted scenes, commentaries on two S3 episodes and international clips) but that's it.

And for S2, they moved the season finale from disc seven to disc six.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5019

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I picked all three up at Best Buy today. It sucks missing out on some of the bonus features, but at $25 a pop, I really can't complain. Plus I guess it helps take away part of the sting for those who paid a lot more a few years ago.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

This post was from nearly a year ago (post #76), but I just watched this episode and couldn't let this comment pass. "Ghost in the Machine" was horrible! Right from the opening scene. I still don't understand why the executive washroom had such tight security. You might have a privacy lock to keep people out of the restroom, but you wouldn't have ultra tight security to keep someone from re-entering the office. :rolleyes:

And that was just the start of a long series of eye rolling moments.

Anyway, I've not seen the show since it aired. I probably caught 98% of them back then, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out I missed one here or there. The good news is that I have a really bad memory, so I can't remember most of the episodes. It's almost like watching them for the first time again. So this thread will be fun to check out as I make my way through the episodes again. :D

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I've finally made my way through all 9 seasons (I have 1-4, and borrowed 5-9 from a friend) and I plan to get 5 & 6 and then stop buying after season 6.

I thought there was some very good stuff in season 8, but I just can't see paying the premium for anything past 6. Now if the prices come down (for the sets including the extras), I may have to re-think that...

As far as bad episodes go....how about "killer trees"????

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The Brady Bunch one was the worst episode i saw. By the middle of the sixth season i had gone from watching every week to seeing only 4 or 5 episodes a season. Damn i had picked a stinker to watch that week. Now that they are under $40 i still wont own season 6 to 9.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
As bad as the X-Files sometimes became due to too many comedies from the 5th, 6th, and 7th seasons that wouldn't be reason to not collect the series as a whole. I'm buying all 9 seasons of the show starting -- and ending with these new 2006 editions.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I watched "Space" last night (episode #9 in season 1) and wasn't too pleased with it either. It seemed very unfocused and Mulder was completly out of character. You never got the sense that they had any clue what was really happening. Normally Mulder knows what's going on and his exposition to Scully is how they explain the situation to the audience. But Mulder was too busy being a fan boy. Oh well, they can't all be good.

At least it wasn't anywhere near as bad as "Ghost in the Machine". :D I don't recall "Fight Club", but I'm now looking forward to seeing it again just to see what all the hype is about.

To be fair, I should also mention that I've pretty much liked everything else so far (especially Ice). I'm more of a monster of the week fan, but I've even been enjoying the mythology episodes.

I also plan to pick up all nine seasons as they're re-released. I couldn't just stop at a certain point.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Scully smiled in a number of episodes, including one that I just saw again 2 weeks ago: "Aubrey" in the second season, when Mulder made an amusing personal comment to her in the car. :)

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
"Fight Club" is defiently the worst X-Files episode ever made. What the hell was Carter smoking when he wrote that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks