What's new

Question on MS Office student teacher edition? (1 Viewer)

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
Why is the MS Office student/teacher edition so much cheaper than regular office? It says you have to be a student or teacher but how can they check? Is there something you have to do in the registration process to prove you're a student or teacher or does this particular version of office not offer a lot of features? Going to buy a laptop and I can upgrade to Office Basic for $99 but student/teacher edition is only $125 and I don't know if I have the $99 extra bucks right now.
Thanks.

Brian

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Despite the fact that I bought (and still use) the Student/Teacher version two years ago, I'm afraid I won't be much help. As I recall, one limitation to this version is that it will not work with future upgrade versions of Office. If you want to buy a newer model down the line, you will have to buy the full version or another Teacher/Student version. That said, the Student/Teacher version that I have (2003) is full-featured and I've felt no need to upgrade or renew in the past two years.

As to the other part of your question, I just don't remember clearly. I don't recall being asked to show my ID at the register when I purchased the product, but perhaps I simply had an uninterested or inexperienced clerk. The only check that I recall (inaccurately?) happened as part of the registration process. Was the registration process required for activation? I don't remember.

I apologize for my poor memory, but at least I have a bump and a small bit of info to offer until someone else comes along to help.

-Steve

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
not sure if its the case now, but a checking about 6 months ago the student/teacher edition doesnt come with Microsoft Access...

I know this because for my intro MIS class we had to put together a system, which needed database software, I used the STudent/teacher edition and lost marks coz it didnt come with access... okay a little too much useless info...

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You can get it with MS Access. It's just a different version of Office (Pro vs. Small Business vs Standard, etc). They do check though. Any legitimate website you buy those things from requires you to send a student or faculty ID by fax or mail before they will complete the sale. I'm sure there are copies on Ebay, so then it just becomes an ethics issue.

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased student editions when I was in college. They checked my student ID every time.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
The computer store on campus up here became very very tight with these "student" editions lately.

Buying an ipod with the educational discount (or any other product's educational discount) now requires us to show valid University Identification and signing of a waiver claiming we will not resell the product.

As mentioned above it becomes an ethics issue in any other situation.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Most major software packages come in "educational" flavours of varying discounts and capacities. As far as I know though, the Microsoft stuff is all the same as the regular versions, but you have to be a student (or teacher persumably) to buy them. The onus is probably on the retailer to get proof of your status though. It's sort of like the MS company store purchases (except those are tracked a little more rigourously).

It's the same as buying OEM software from computer stores-there are some that'll just sell you a cheap OS, and there are some that follow the rules and make you buy a new computer (or at least two or three components). Is there something wrong with just buying the OEM disc without any hardware if someone will sell it to you?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i was about to start a thread about this exact product.

we bought a notebook about 6 months ago that has office installed but it only worked
for 3 months.
it is $150 to unlock.

is there an advantage to using the unlocked version?

or is the s & t edition the same?

my wife already bought the s & t version at best buy.
but before i opened it i thought i should check to see.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
If you're a college student you shouldn't be buying this. I believe there's debate at least on the Mac version if this is education product or a marketing gimmick. There's nothing on DVD cover or box requesting proof and unlike most educational discount software you can pick it up on Amazon without any questions. The student/teacher edition on the Mac side gives three licenses per purchase.

If you are a college student you can probably get this and other Microsoft software for free to $30 with proof of enrollment at your school bookstore.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Maybe-it really depends on whether Microsoft has a deal with your school or not to sell these types of things. I know that I could got WinXP and Visual Studio for free, but some schools only offer to sell the student editions. Definitely worth asking though, because free is good.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the one we bought has option to use on 3 different computers.

she is using an online university school to get a nursing BS.

so no bookstore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks