What's new

Question about this system (1 Viewer)

pardanme

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
So today's tech.woot includes some pyle sytems... one in particular sparked my interest.
http://tech.woot.com/offers/7-1-channel-home-theater-system-with-bt
First a little info about what I'm doing:
I am going from TV Speakers, as my ancient panasonic system i inherited from my brother died a month ago.
Most use is my computer running through my TV, as well as cable, so having nontv audio would be fantastic.
Secondly I am not buying this system, my gf is looking for a christmas present for me and we are on a very limited budget
Pros:
I like the bluetooth capability seems like a nice easy way to do audio as my computer is also bluetooth enabled
Seems like a great price.
Cons:
Limited inputs (no HDMI)
only 500 watts (12x24 room)
not wall mounted satellites
So HT forums, is this mostly a novelty set-up or is this a bargain.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
From what I glean from the advert...
You need a DVD player with an 8 channel analog output(or a BD player with the same).
The DVD player with that won't be hard to find. A BD player with that will cost around twice what this speaker set does.
For "that cost"...
You could buy this...
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3400-Channel-Home-Theater/dp/B004O0TRDI/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353086327&sr=1-8&keywords=denon+dht-1312ba
and add a pawn shop/Ebay/Craigslist find of a BD player for $35-$50.

pardanme

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
So, after looking through this site more, i have come to realize something....
I probably shouldn't get a HTiB if I want to be able to upgrade things...
So new set of questions then:
These speakers:
5.1 Surround speakers
Plus a receiver in the $100-200 range that would give me the ability to upgrade the speakers later to something more substantial.
Again, as i said, this is for something for my gf to get me for christmas, to upgrade from our tv speakers, so even a bad system is a huge upgrade.
But I also like the thought of not having to just get a whole new system in the future and just being albe to upgrade the sytem piece-wise.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I wouldn't buy any of those things. I would buy a decent, basic 5.1 receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers. Then add speakers and a sub when you can. At Walmart.com you can buy the Onkyo RC430, 5.1 receiver for $179. This is a quality receiver that you can keep for a while. If you want to try out those speakers from Monoprice, just make sure of the return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks