What's new

Question about satellite receivers........:confused: (1 Viewer)

RobWil

Supporting Actor
OK....I've been totally out of the loop on these for the past 7yrs or so. I've had my Direct-Tv for about 7 yrs and have not upgraded since. I think I have like a second generation Sony receiver....and prolly a first generation RCA. I'm happy with the Sony which is in my primary viewing area, but the RCA, which is in my primary listening area kind of sucks....really sucky-assed menu system and really slow. It also only has analog audio outputs, hence my next question. I'm assuming these things haveta have DAC's in them and I'm also assuming this RCA (one of the originals) most likely has some really outdated ones. So can someone kinda update me on these newer receivers? I don't care about HDTV and component video and P-4 cards and shit like that. I mainly want something with a faster menu system , analog and digital coax outputs for audio and some decent DAC's in case I wanna stick with analog out. I will be mainly using this for listening to the digital music channels. I will probably be looking at buying a used one off of ebay or something. Anyway...any suggestions on particular models I should be looking at?? Thanks!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have had 3 sonys and like their menus and speed. Every Rca I've seen suck when it comes to the menus and remotes. T

Vin

Supporting Actor
I recently replaced one of my older Hughes boxes with a DD capable (optical output) Samsung SIR-S75.

Channel tuning is very fast, has a great menu system, audio and video quality very good, etc., etc., etc......I can't think of anything about it that I don't like.

I also own a Sony A55 with DD output which I've had for a couple of years.....not bad but not as fast as the Samsung.

I still have two older (~ 5 years) non-DD Hughes boxes that I'm using that I've been very happy with. (I originally had all 4 Hughes boxes but as already mentioned, two of them have been replaced with newer DD capable models....I would definitely consider Hughes again).

Most recently, during the process of replacing one of the Hughes boxes, I tried the new RCA 435 which I quickly returned when I realized the digital optical output WAS NOT DD capable....PCM only. Also, the PQ from the RF coax on this box was far inferior to the Hughes box it was replacing.

I then tried the new Philips 5540 which was capable of passing the DD bitstream from both of it's digital (optical & coaxial) outputs but the video from all outputs had a jerky motion to it, brought it back and got the Samsung SIR-S75. YMMV....

Vin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks