What's new

Question about Front Projection TV's (1 Viewer)

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Hi everyone:

I'm a three on the pole up above and here's my situation. I currently have a Tosh57HDX82 calibrated by Chad which is great in my main home theater room. (Living Room)

I'm building in my basement for the kids and in the process I'm thinking of buying as FP unit that will be used alot for Playstation use and also for medium sized groups of kids who spend the night to watch DVD and maybe some TV.I will have my old audio system in the basement and the basement is perfectly dark so light should not be a problem.

I need something as cheap as possible and I need a screen for the wall. The room is pretty big about 1000 ft2 however the RPTV screen will be in a part of the basement that is 16 ft wide and 25 feet long.

It needs to be as cheap as possible to fit in my budget 'cause I've spent a lot of cash on HT this last year.

I probably can get away with $1000 to $1200 bucks.

Anyway what models should I be looking at? How big a screen should I get for this size room? I really can sit as far away or as close to the screen as necessary.

Any input form all my HT friends is appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does Infocus still have that deal going on with the screen and projector (Infocus X1) for $900? If so, that would be a nice way to go. Other options are the Sanyo Z1 or Panasonic L200U and a DIY screen. Many here have made their screens and can help you through it if needed.

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
This is probably the best deal going on right now in your price range. The 1HD is a Sanyo Z1 clone. I bought my Panasonic PT-L200U three months ago with a free Da-Lite Model B matte white 67"x38" 16:9 screen for $1099. I have absolutely no regrets but if I were buying today I would choose the 1HD + 80"x45" screen for just $100 more in a heartbeat.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Thanks everyone for the advise - looks like I should get a good pj in my price range.

Are PJ's subject to burn in like RPTV's?

What about calibration on these units - is it a hassle?

Thanks for the help........It still amazes me the great advise you get on this forum.

Mike

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
CRTs and plasmas are subject to burn-in; DLP and LCD are not. Calibration of my LCD PJ (PT-L200U) was a snap. The picture "out of the box" was acceptable and calibrating with Avia was easy and made it even better. X1 and Z1 (1HD) owners also seem pleased with their PJs. Read the posts in the

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Echoing the comments of others.... calibration is no different. Put in your calibration disk and set up the controls as usual. The Panasonic has the added benefit of a very long bulb life, something to consider if your kids will be playing games on it. I have seen my kids play for hours straight at a time so you don't want to get a projector with a 1000 hour bulb life when you can get another that has a 5000 hour lifespan for instance, especially when bulb replacement can go for $200-$600 depending on the type/model of projector.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Just would like to thanks you guys again for the advise - now on to the WAF. I will put all your suggestions under deep consideration and make a decision soon.

I will report back to you about the decision. Neil and everyone, I really appreciate your time in replying to this post.

Well, I feel kinda good asking the wife tonight - anniversaries (21st tomorrow!

Wish me luck...

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks