What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I really this photo from the uncut version of PSYCHO

Attachments

• img_7787 2.jpg
    img_7787 2.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 72

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
We’re the Catholic cuts made before the film was released wide? Is that the reason some saw it uncut then cuts were added to get through Maryland’s and other states Catholic censor boards? Then all future versions had the cuts? I can totally see how the cuts mentioned would be absolutely requested and made for Roman Catholics pre Vatican Council 2.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I messaged Stephen Rebello on social media. He replied and said the Arboghast scream on the final stab is wrong and illogical. He's also working on a new book about Psycho.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
For those who saw this uncut on release, what city or town did you see it in? Did you go back weeks later and it was still uncut?
I know Stephen is an expert, but unless he has access to a cutting script, then even he can be wrong about this.
Arbogast doesn't scream when he is first stabbed at the top of the stairs. I don't think the scream represents pain. I think it represents the fatal stab. Maybe he is screaming the entire time, like Marion did. But we don't hear it. We only hear his death as the screen fades to black. Marion's boyfriend even makes a remark upon the next scene fade in, about hearing the lonely silence. This line piggybacks on, and contrasts with, the loud screaming a moment earlier.
The extra German groans are also out of sync on that version ...coming either too early or too late.
The Turbine version contains a new and extra first stab. It sticks out and is clearly wrong.
The U S. Version contains an extra sting effect at fade out.
According to another book, the shots were edited before release. Hitchcock wanted the shower scene to be the big showcase, but with multiple stabs, Arbogast's murder was close to topping it.
The washing hands shot needed to be censored in the middle of a shot, so the negative had to be cut and an alternate shot inserted.
The Hitchcock Canadian interview took place in 1964, and the Arbogast scene was cut. You can tell by the placement of the changeover cues (timewise) that the scene wasn't cut for the documentary. So, the scene was cut at least by 1964.

Last edited:

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Since we have some evidence the film was released uncut originally, then I think we should try to contact our friends at Universal to see if the scream is correct or needs to be fixed. This is too precious of a treasure to be changed.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Not saying that at all. These days, things can quickly be fixed digitally, and the new file quietly replaces the old one. The Wonder Woman set has been mostly fixed and they never initiated a recall or even told anyone they corrected it.
This is Psycho we are talking about. I've gotten so many movies corrected all by myself. Just think of what we could all do together!
I'm talking about for future releases of the film too. So many people just sit back and take what they are given...and that is completely fine. But that doesn't accomplish anything. Trying might not either...but chances are always better.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
We’re the Catholic cuts made before the film was released wide? Is that the reason some saw it uncut then cuts were added to get through Maryland’s and other states Catholic censor boards? Then all future versions had the cuts? I can totally see how the cuts mentioned would be absolutely requested and made for Roman Catholics pre Vatican Council 2.

Well, that is what we've been trying to figure out this whole time. :)

I messaged Stephen Rebello on social media. He replied and said the Arboghast scream on the final stab is wrong and illogical. He's also working on a new book about Psycho.

Did he happen to know which version played in which theaters in 1960?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Universal told me they just sent the information about the placement of the scream over to the appropriate department for investigation.
Hitchcock’s masterpiece, PSYCHO, will return to UK and Irish cinemas nationwide from 27th May with a 4K restoration of the original theatrical cut. The film will screen in 100+ UK and Irish cinemas, including Vue, Odeon, and independent cinemas nationwide as well as selected international territories, including: France, Austria, Spain, Denmark and Switzerland.

Oscar®-nominated in 1961 for Best Actress, Best Director, Best Cinematography and Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, PSYCHO stars Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates and Janet Leigh as Marion Crane and has become a cultural phenomenon. The iconic film was named number one on the AFI’s 100 Years…100 Thrills list and features one of the most iconic scenes in film history – the famous “shower scene.”

This 4K restoration is an extended version of the movie and features 13 seconds of restored footage which had been cut by the censors after the initial theatrical release. It can now be seen how it was originally seen in cinemas in 1960, exactly as intended by Alfred Hitchcock.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Hitchcock’s masterpiece, PSYCHO, will return to UK and Irish cinemas nationwide from 27th May with a 4K restoration of the original theatrical cut. The film will screen in 100+ UK and Irish cinemas, including Vue, Odeon, and independent cinemas nationwide as well as selected international territories, including: France, Austria, Spain, Denmark and Switzerland.

Oscar®-nominated in 1961 for Best Actress, Best Director, Best Cinematography and Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, PSYCHO stars Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates and Janet Leigh as Marion Crane and has become a cultural phenomenon. The iconic film was named number one on the AFI’s 100 Years…100 Thrills list and features one of the most iconic scenes in film history – the famous “shower scene.”

This 4K restoration is an extended version of the movie and features 13 seconds of restored footage which had been cut by the censors after the initial theatrical release. It can now be seen how it was originally seen in cinemas in 1960, exactly as intended by Alfred Hitchcock.
also check out the AFI for more detail - ineteresting read

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks