What's new

PS3's now meeting demand (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Ahem...

PS3- Extremely expensive by any accounting, marquee feature is a next-gen drive the vast majority can't use to it's potential

The 360, although it did have a higher price tag was still reasonable. Also it uses existing drive technology (DVD as opposed to Blu-ray, hence the lower price).

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
Why do people insist on comparing apples to oranges...
Remember the $299 XBOX360 lacks a wireless controller and hard drive...
Please compare the $399 XBOX360 with the $499 PS3...
Then ask yourself this question... Is Blu Ray worth $100 more???
If the answer is yes, then ask your self... Is wireless and an extra 40gb worth $100 more??? The $399 XBOX360 lacks wireless card...

As for me, I originally wanted to get the $499 PS3... But my house is not wired, so I went with the $599 model... And I have no regrets!!! I get to pay Resistance and if the wife complains, I throw in a Blu Ray movie and everyone is happy...

If you already own a XBOX360 then the question is... Is HD DVD worth and extra $200? If the answer is yes, then you just spent $499-$599...

If you have very very little money, then get a PS2 for $129!!!

MikeRS

Screenwriter
This site tracks worldwide numbers.

http://nexgenwars.com/

According to them, the Wii has more than tripled the PS3 in actual sales.

This is the first time since Sony entered the console race (to personally kick Nintendo's butt, actually) that Nintendo's installed base is ahead.

Gonna be interesting.....

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
In all fairness PlayStation 1's launch games were god-awful (Battle Arena didn't hold a candle to Virtua Fighter). But the company went on to be the best selling videogame company for the next 10 years. Launch titles have hisotrically sucked :P

Wii: Will Sports be remembered as great as Duck Hunt? maybe, but at least they (the games) are something new.

360: a year later and they only have 3 great titles (Oblivion, Gears Of war, UNO), and UNO is hardly visually impressive, but neither was Tetris I suppose.

PS3: Nothing good yet, keep waiting.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo will definately throw a wrench in the gears of Microsoft, and Sony.
Sony just started shipping 700,000 units, so if you start seeing PS3's everywhere you go, it's no big deal. After all, many people are broke this time of year(christmas wasn't kind to my credit card) and I still believe the PS3 will be a good system once they get the bigger, and better games.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Sorry but Microsoft is the King of Evil Empires. With a new version of Windows every couple of years that you are forced to buy and all the accessorries you then also have to buy like Office, Etc.
Microsoft has been doing this for over a decade now.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

I would also include Ghost Recon Advanced Warrior. Alot of fun on Live and already sold 1 million units months ago. Visually impressive as well.

I just got a PS3. Sitting in the trunk of my car. Based on what I'm reading in various threads, I'm hesitant to open this up. Concerned about audio playback based on my current equipment.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

My bad...read too fast. PS3 is the fastest selling Sony console.
And according to numbers I have seen, the 360 sold about 600,000 in the same time frame as PS3s 1,000,000.

jervis961

Agent
Real Name
Cy Jervis

Does Gates come to your house, hold a gun to your head and make you upgrade your operating system?:laugh:

Anyway you could switch to Linux or buy an Apple computer if you hate MS, there are other choices. Most people don't upgrade to a newer version of windows until they buy a new computer. There are also other companies that supply products that compete with Office and Internet Explorer also. Now if you like MS products and want what is in the newer versions then you decided on your own and didn't get forced into it.

You could also say Sony is forcing people to buy into BluRay if they want a PS3, its all in how you want to look at it.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

P.S. If you reread what you quoted I said MS was the lesser of 2 evils when it comes to gaming not overall.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Every couple years? That may be their goal, but that's not even close to reality..... ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not literally, but because of the near monopoly MS has in the corporate world, if you want to be able to do work from home (or remotely) you have to buy the right version of Windows and Office in order to interface properly with your coworkers.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I think you are talking about Apple here. MS hasn't released a new major OS since XP in 2001. They branched off with Media Center PC, but that's it. Apple on the other hand has released 5 versions of OS X in that same period of time, which at least 3 cost Apple users money to upgrade. The next version is coming sometime in the spring.

MS did have a run with NT/95/98/ME/2000 all in a 5-6 year timespan.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Well, simply buying the latest version of Office is good enough. There are always options to save in older formats, and opening docs from other versions isn't an issue.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Actually, that shipment was just before Christmas and should be about gone. As far as nintendo throwing a wrench in MS's gears, it certainly did not happen over the holidays. Different type of gamer will buy the WII than will buy the 360 or PS3, or it will be purchased as a second console. Either way, I do not see it slowing down sales for either MS or Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks