What's new

PS3's now meeting demand (1 Viewer)

JasonTil

Agent
I've looked around quite a bit this weekend and every store from Best Buy to Wal Mart has multiple PS3's gathering dust. Not just 20 gig models either. The local Wal Mart had at least 5 60 gig models just sitting there.

I don't profess to be much of an expert but that doesn't appear to bode well for the blu-ray folks. Any thoughts?

Happy New Year

Jason

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Yes, the PS3 has turned out to be as big a disappointment as one could hope for! If you want to get a good price on one just look on eBay where they currently sell below retail price. Many are trading in their PS3's for Wii's as well, woot Nintendo.

As far as what it means for blu-ray, I'd say nothing really. If PS3 had been a huge success it would have been a big advantage for bluray true, but since it wasn't it's just a lack of an advantage really, IMO.

jervis961

Agent
Real Name
Cy Jervis

Many reasons come to mind... Sony has become too big for its britches so to speak. They insist on BluRay being the standard, force customers to buy BluRay to get Playstation 3, show "target render" video of upcoming games that they don't even come close to matching with final product, claim that next generation gaming doesn't start until they say so and that other company's products are only 1.5 versions instead of full upgrades.. I could go on and on about how arrogant they have become and have forgotten about the customers that supported them, including myself, but I think I sound jaded enough as it is. :angry:
I don't think anyone wants to see Sony go under but a nice boot to the chops may snap some sense into them and put them back on the right path.:D

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I don't buy into any of this 'Sony's too big for its britches' for I can only ask when Microsoft STOPPED being the ultimate big evil empire! I would only say that the PS3 is probably overpriced. I've been tempted to get one as my post university gift for myself, but it just doesn't seem to have any momentum as a platform.

In theory the PS3 should be the superior console to the Xbox 360, but what I might call, impatient manufacturing and development has stiffled it. With the 360 doing so well, the appeal of the PS3 is severely reduced to only those that can afford it and also those most loyal to the Playstation brandname, and maybe those in the market for a Blu Ray. However the Blu Ray will not be a draw for the PS3 as long as the format war continues to endure without a clear winner. Blu Ray does not hold the obvious advantages to the average consumer that DVD in the PS2 held.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Check back in a week and see if there still their? As for the PS3 being expensive, an Xbox360 premium/HD-DVD/Wireless Antenna totals $780CDN, PS3 60G(with BR and wirless built in) $659CDN. Buy two games for the PS3 and your in the same price range.

mclva

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Well, I am very happy with my PS3.
For the money, I get a very capable next-gen gaming console and a nice BD player to boot. So I don't agree with the over-priced comment, given the current market prices of BD players. I'm no expert, but IMO the PS3 is delivering a lot of entertainment value.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

Completely reasonable arguement. But I think the thing that many of us are overlooking is the "who are the buyers" of t he PS3. Sure there are many of us that are adults with moderate to well paying jobs that can afford these toys. But I'll tell you this, at 28 years old myself, I am the only person I know that is into Home theater as a major hobby. So if I was to buy a PS3 it would be 50% movies and 50% gaming and other. Unfortunately the type of consumer I am is in a very low minority. The majority of people that would purchase a PS3 are gamers and parents of children gamers. These people are not purchasing it to be used in a home theater. It is in their living room hooked up to what ever TV they have. And the gamers are all buying XBox 360/Nintendo Wii (which is selling like hotcakes). 360 has super killer games lots of flexibilty and significantly cheaper than the PS3 (and remember I am speaking strickly as a gaming console as that is the majority of the purchasers). And Nintendo Wii, is an incredibly unique gaming system that is uber cheaper than PS3.

So PS3's are gathering dust because adult gamers are going to the 360 and parents are going to 360 and Wii, and non of them are will to shell out $700 for a "gaming system". Remember it's not like everyone on earth just stopped being a J6P. In a J6P eyes, the PS3 is a gaming machine.

And only a small minority of people are purchasing the PS3 because of its bluray player.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

This is the main reason why I have stayed away from everything manufactured by Sony (excluding their Discman). For every Sony product you buy, you have to buy Sony accessories, peripherals...and all that crap. Sony wants to be the Evil electronics empire. Sony wants a monopoly. WE should be thankful for companies like MS and Toshiba. If it wasn't for them Sony would have its way with us.

I never speak ill of Sony product. They are quality for the most part...but as a company, their actions and track record speak for themselves which is why I will never own a Sony product.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yet, Best Buy had to give out tickets to ration them out this Sunday before opening via their weekly ad. With all these reports of PS3 available, oddly enough you can't seem to find any online? Best Buy, Target, Circuit City, Amazon, Gamestop...none. Hmm...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I'm wanting to buy one from Best Buy in Los Angeles. I bought one from EB Games but haven't opened it. I'd rather put it on my Best Buy card and buy their 2 year replacement plan (as opposed to EB's 1 year) so I'm eagerly looking for one at any BB. There are about 8 Best Buys within about 25 miles of me, all supposedly got a minimum of 25 per store yesterday (I was out of the country) and they're all sold out.

I wish they were easier to find, then I'd be golden. :frowning:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I bought a PS3 ONLY to get a quality Blu-ray player, and I have not been disappointed. I only have six Blu-ray discs thus far, but they blow everything on DVD out of the water. (And I'm sure those who have HD-DVD say the same thing. Amazing picture and sound quality.)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The availability of the PS3 was...... something!!! I saw one at my local supermarket of all places. Went back the next day and it was gone. I think that some people bought it for just the blu-ray and others bought it just for the games and I feel that the next few months will convert some game-only folks to blu-ray and some BR-only people to the gaming side of it.

jervis961

Agent
Real Name
Cy Jervis

They both do, but the difference is how they go about it, when it comes to game consoles.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

Yes, Best Buy was supposed to hand out the tickets. I left work at 2:00 PM today and we still have 11 of the 28 we had available YESTERDAY morning. We gave up on the tickets when there was only one guy waiting. He said, "I'm the first one in line, huh huh" while trying to be all smug about it. I told him, "It takes two to make a line."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was in my local Target yesterday morning and notice at least four of these units. I'm actually a little surprised that these are relatively available this close to after Christmas. I'm sure it depends on which area you live in as far as availability of product and the price tag of $599.99 for this 60GB machine doesn't help sales either.

Crawdaddy

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

I see this statement all the time, and I often wonder if people remember what computing was like in the 80's and early 90's...

In the 80's there were a dozen systems, with their own quirks and programming styles. If you owned a C-64/C-128 you were in good shape. Otherwise you were looking for the TI-994a, Trsh-80, Amiga, PC, Mac/Apple, etc version of the game you wanted which may or may not be carried because the shelf space was limited and there were so many systems to support. Nothing was more frustrating than finding the game or software you wanted, but to discover it was the wrong version.

Then there were the 90's, where you had Dos 6, IBM's OS2/PC-Dos, and Apple. Nothing was quite as annoying as buying a brand new computer, made by the (then) well regarded name IBM, and taking it home to discover it was IBM's OS2/PC-Dos combo that wouldn't run half the software out there or more. If you made the mistake of buying an apple, well, we've probably all seen the commercial that went on about the lack of games and software.

Then, once you had a PC with Dos you had to play ridiculous games to get sufficient memory to run your software, and manage complicated startup files, and the game/software had to be programmed specifically for your hardware.

PC's never would've gone mainstream had it not been for MS and Windows 95 and beyond with DirectX. That created a near universal easy to use interface that allowed access to computing to the unwashed masses who never would've understood command line computing. As it was, back in the C-64/128 days, the most people understood about the computer was "Load "*",8,1" or "Load "*",8,9". Anything more was lost on them.

Computing needed a universal interface that removed the necessity of knowing and configuring your hardware manually, that Developers could program for without worrying about 7 different ports.

If it weren't for MS, 2/3 or more of this message board wouldn't be here right now.

jervis961

Agent
Real Name
Cy Jervis
^^^
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Great post, I fully agree. MS has had its mistakes but Sony had outright lied about and bumbled the PS3. I bought one and returned it (unopened) when I found out about the lack of built in scaler, I'll stick with my 360.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks