What's new
World Wide Stereo

PS3 vs Samsung P2500 vs Panasonic DMP-BD55? (1 Viewer)

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
Started to do some reading and think that I may soon be making the jump to hd.

I have read a little about this and may be missing the individual threads but hear are my questions:

I will be using the 7.1 channel analog audio inputs on my avr (denon 3800). I do not know much about the ps3, but does it have these?

If it does not which would be the best player using those inputs?

Also, the word "analog" scares me. is there some explaination of if these would be better than using a 5.1 digital connection?

thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Much of that goes to the "lossy" vs "lossless" debate for audio (do a search, there is a lot of material on this debate--though be warned, it can resemble arguments over religious dogma at times). IF the player has sufficiently flexible internal audio management (speaker delay settings, crossover settings and internal decoding of the advanced audio codecs being the most important), then there is no reason to be "scared". However, capabilities vary widely and wildly, so some research is definitely in order. I believe, based on what I've read for specs, the Panasonic, Sony and upcoming Oppo are the best choices for that. Unless you are HDMI capable, the 5.1 digital option is limited to "lossy" audio (hence the need for analogue connections). I will offer my own observation--take it as you wish. I have always been very happy with DD/DTS 5.1 audio on SD DVD, so remaining "lossy" with BDs (and HD DVDs for that matter) has also been quite satisfactory to me. I am of the opinion that the distraction of visuals greatly diminishes the difference between "lossy" and "lossless" audio whereas the distinction is easier to make (if still somewhat subtle--again, to me) when it comes to MCH audio only (SACD/DVD-A vs DD/DTS). Others will swear up and down that there is a huge difference even with visuals. My approach has been--"lossy" has been very good until now and I will eventually benefit from "lossless" later when I upgrade my receiver (it's not like "lossy" DD/DTS is unlistenable). I cannot miss what I've never had. But, again, when I made my player selection, my options were a lot more limited than they are now. IF the option of lossless (via analogue) is available at a reasonable price with good overall performance, then it is worth pursuing. Personally, though, I would not spend double on a player knowing that within 12-24 months I'll be upgrading my receiver (which is my situation). But if I was not going to update my receiver for another 3-5 or more years, I would then have considered spending for the lossless audio via analogue. Circumstances ultimately dictate choices.

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
thanks....i will be running the hdmi to the tv for video and the analoge for audio. Was wondering how the panasonic compared to the samsung as the samsung is a new release. It was just reviewed in home theatre magazine, but they did not mention performance compared to the panasonic, which they loved.

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Steinmetz
We use the BD55 all the time...well not now since they are back ordered. But they are our goto BR players. Discrete codes for universal remotes (URC) and they work well. Not a fan of the P2500. Had difficulties controlling it and finding a full list of discrete codes. Other than that picture and audio seemed fine.

I don't like using the PS3 because I have seen it do some funky things with audio and changing settings on it's own. (Firmware is up to date) That's why we got the client to get a new Panasonic when the BD80 starts to ship!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks