What's new
World Wide Stereo

PS3 1.6 update available (1 Viewer)

728x90

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the internets right now so I'm not sure it's even worth messing with. :crazy:

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
i got it. zoom works well in the browser. qwerty keyboard entry is nice too. folding installed, but the server is not connecting.
typing is still a pain with the sixaxis.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I would be interested in reports of experiencing the dreaded freezing issue (or hopefully the lack thereof) with those who have updated to v. 1.6.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yeah and now you can use a bluetooth keyboard!

Will know tonight if I still have the freezing issue!

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I hear the workaround for the freezing issue is to disable the network adapter. I have the 20gig PS3 without the wireless so this hasn't been an issue for me.

Biggest new feature of 1.6 is background downloading, so now you can download stuff from the PS Store while playing a game or watching a movie.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.

No, it pauses the download while you are playing a game or movie disc and resumes it afterwards.

However you can do other XMB stuff, web surf, & queue other downloads, which is fine.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Too bad about the non-fix of Blu-ray freezing with v1.6. I guess I'll keep turning off my wireless (or leave it off) when watching movies. I would guess that SONY is going to make this a priority in a future firmware update because without it the PS3 as a BR player has a glitch that's the last thing that they need while in a format war.

I purchased my PS3 as a BR player (which it does admirably except for the freezing issue) and gaming is secondary - very secondary. For example, my two favorite game titles on the PS3 are God of War and the recently released God of War II. Both are 480p PS2 titles and better, in my opinion, than just about all the native PS3 games so far (except for Oblivion, which is a favorite of mine from the XBox360 and PC. No need to buy this title a third time.) Using pretty good video processing equipment the two PS2 titles look quite nice on my 1080p display. Not "Next Gen" graphics but more engrossing than most of the "Next Gen" games.

;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think it may also depend on your wireless network as well in terms of pauses - the pauses come when you have interrupts in connection AFAIK. I have had very few pauses and I leave wireless on all the time.

Sorry, but the graphics in GOW2 don't hold a candle to ANY of the 720p games, not even close. The graphics are excellent for a PS2 game, but it is clear that it is still a PS2 game. The first thing I said when I fired up GOW2 on the PS3 was "Wow, it is tough to go back to looking at PS2 graphics after seeing what the PS3 is really capable of..." Game wise, I agree, there are plenty of PS2 games that are better than what is currently available for the PS3 though...

USB one was pretty inexpensive though, and I can use it with the PCs. It isn't like I plan to surf much with the PS3.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Have any of these updates tackled the lack of 720p upconversion on the PS3? I keep on thinking of getting one, but what use is a unit that downconverts 720p to 480p for those with native 1080i only sets? The last thing I want to look at is XBOX style graphics on a unit with a premium price like the PS3.

CRyan

Screenwriter
This has also not been "fixed." Although, movies should display at 1080i on a 1080i set. Other can correct me if I am wrong.

But realize, the PS3 is actually cheaper than the 360 if you include the HD DVD drive and wireless that the Box does not have - and then you still dont have HDMI. Just food for thought.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Part of it depends on how your 1080i set handles incoming 720p.

I have a 1080i CRT RPTV which will accept (but not display) 720p and just scale the signal to 1080i. I played Madden Football on my PS3 this way and it looked quite good.

As mentioned, for movies, it's a seamless 1080i to 1080i.

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking from someone that was absolute clobbered with the freezing issue (both on Standard and BD movies), I can report that since the update, all three movies that I have played have NOT frozen at all, including a full showing of BD version of "The Departed" last night.

I did notice after returning to the menu after each disc, the computer logs back into the network, almost like it is automatically disconnecting my connection when a movie plays. The next time I play a movie, I will go into my router settings and see if it's actuall disconnecting or not.

EDIT: Okay . . . so the PS3 is staying connected, but I am automatically being logged out of my Playstation account. (I get logged back in as soon as I end playback of the disc.) I went through another entire BD today without a freeze.

Eric F

Screenwriter
The new upgrade will now allow you to sync with pretty much any BT keyboard/mouse as well.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Same here. Watch Rocky Balboa and didn't encounter any freeze problems. My unit had been running Folding@Home for at least a day and a half before watching the film so it was plenty warmed up and I really expected to have problems. Very pleased when it did not. :)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Geez, Sony keeps pumping these updates out, don't they? I'm glad to see we can use keyboards now. I have a USB keyboard just dying to be used. It's sort of a weird novelty to be able to surf the net on a 53" display. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks