What's new

pronto and power amp (1 Viewer)

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
My NHT SA-3 power amp doesn't come with a remote; I'm guessing that this is the case with a lot of amps. Is this the one type of equipment that has to be manually turned on and off (ie: can't be controlled by a pronto)?:frowning:

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
If the amp doesn't have a ir or rf sensor, then there's no way to control it with any remote, except to plug it into a unit that can turn it on/off and is controlled with a remote. This could be done with a pronto.
If it does have a sensor, then there might be discrete codes available at www.remotecentral.com which you could use.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
It could be done fairly easily with the Pronto. You'd need an IR543 IR to RF converter which typically run around $24 US plus an X10 applience module (not a lamp module)

Another option is to just leave the NHT amp all the time which is what I do with my Musical Fidelity amp

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The pronto only sends out IR (infrared signals). If you have a device that uses RF (radio frequency) you need a converter. I have this for my x-10 stuff. It allows me to send a pronto signal (IR) and turn on and off my lights (which requires rf).

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Link Removed
This is the cheapest place I can find the IR543. If you want to see one of these in action American Hi-Fi uses one in their HT room. I've also got one in mine if you ever want a demo just ask.
Basically X10 remotes communicate with the receivers via rf codes. The pronto can not send out rf so we need a device that can convert a signal from the pronto (or other universal remote) into a code the X10 devices understand.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Does your amp have a signal sense or 12v trigger option? My Rotel has both. WHenI had my Denon 1801 the signal wasn't strong enough to keep the amp on so it would shut down within 5min. So I picked up a 6v(300ma) AC adapter and plugged that into the back of my receiver and into the amp's 12V trigger. Everytime I turned on the receiver the amp came on. Now with my new Marantz AV560U pre/pro I'm back to using the signal sense.

Kevin

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Thanks for the info and the demo offer. I may check out american hifi (haven't been there in a while!), but for now I think I will simply leave it on all the time.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Another solution is what I'm using, the Sears Craftsman Auto Switch http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00924031000
It has a master outlet and two slave outlets. Plug in your receiver (which is IR controllable) into the master outlet. The amp goes into a slave outlet. A short delay after the receiver power up, the auto switch turns on the amp. The delay is great for avoiding the power up thump.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks