What's new

Projectors VS Screens? (1 Viewer)

TheTheaterGuru

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Ok I read the posts here and I will add my .02$.

htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

I have been a dealer for over 22 years, and sold Draper as well as DaLite. I also sold Infocus and many other high end projectors. I have done celebrity and sports stars homes in upwards of $500K.

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

As far as which DaLite for the money, nothing beats the Luma2. They are under $200.00 all day long and go up to 165" for not much more.

I have 2 theaters in my home, 1 in the main room and 1 in the master bedroom.

In the main Room, I have a Vidikron CRT projector with the EluneVision 120" and its nothing short of spectacular. I was very leary in buying a $200.00 screen for a 9K projector, but am very satisfied I did. In fact, I was so happy, I sold my Draper Artisan 12' in the master bedroom and got another 120" EV and spent the rest on our bedroom furniture. In there, I have a InFocus LP530 DLP and its so bright and clear I had to turn down the brightness. (Which is fine for saving bulb life)

htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Things to consider are not always cost. While its true nowdays especially that for the most part you get what you pay for, be careful on some things. When considering what color screen material, dont focus on the colors so much that you dont see either. Gray and matt screens in silvers and light blacks, are made for video presentations not so much theater or videos where the image is always moving.

NTSC standards when a movie is filmed includes less than 1000 colors. When the image is edited and remastered, it is over 1/2 million. To this date, there is not a projector on the planet that will capture that all. Even if it did, Optometrists say the human eye is only capable of less than 300 colors.

Just remember that each screen color and material (matt,grooved, glass beaded etc.) serve a different purpose. Remember also that when you measure gain and gammas, that it is all within the index of where you are seated, never all around. The ambient light in the room is also a big factor or should be for which projector you get and use.

Finally with projectors, Remember that like a reciever, for the most part they do the same things. The first thing you should consider other than the price on any projector is the ANSI Lumens or brightness rating. And remember that CRT projectors dont go over about 8-900 lumens but that this is not that same as a 2400 lumen rating on a DLP. Remember that there are 3 CRTs or lenses, not 1 that runs on a laser or heat. This is why some experts say theres nothing that compares to a CRT projector. This is also why they cost more. They generally do not need new bulbs either, and the collor spectrum is far greater than that of a LCD or DLP. They just need a larger room because of their size. They also should be choice for larger screens.

I hope this helps you all, dont focus so much on the cost or what some ratings say from people who are not experienced to know the difference. I personally have a CRT and a DLP, and to me, they both have a few flaws and pluses. Eitherway, they do the trick very nicely. I will try and get some pics up here, I am new.

Best of Luck,

Dave

Mike Prades

Agent
Thanks for the write-up, Dave. This has been informative. Based on what you said about gray and matte screens in silver and light black, I presume your Elunevision screen is white - am I correct? Did you opt for the higher gain version?

TheTheaterGuru

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
yes it is white. I am in the process of coating the one in the bedroom with glassbeading however because of the light coming in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks