What's new

Projector Electrical (1 Viewer)

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,

I'm almost set on the Panasonic PT-AE900U projector and need a hired-hand to pull the HDMI/component cables and install an electrical outlet on the ceiling near the projector mount. I've got recessed lights nearby on the ceiling, so I'm sure the electrical contractor will pull power from that. That go me to thinking since projectors are a costly investment, that people would want protect it and not let it get fried by surges or outages.

Is there anything in particular that most people are doing for the power outlet feeding the projector mounted on a ceiling? I'm all ears.....

Alex Antin

Grip
A smart piece of insurance is to trace back the line to the panel to determine which breaker controls that line. Then replace the breaker with a GFCI Breaker (Ground Fault Circut Interupter). They rune i think about $50 for a 20 Amp line.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I wouldn't put the outlet for the PJ on the same circuit as the lights, there may be interference problems. If possible, run a new circuit for the PJ, and make sure you use a surge protector. My PJ and A/V components all plug into a power strip with a surge protector, which also has some sort of filter for electrical interference. When I built my HT room in basement, my electrician ran one circuit for lights, and one circuit for the outlets.

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. But if I ceiling mount the projector, where in the world would I locate a surge protector. Running a separate line would make sense, or do most people just don't worry about this and plug in anywhere.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
First of all, I applaud your choice. The AE900 is KILLER projector. I saw it demonstrated with Revenge of the Sith and it looked so much more brilliant and sharp than when I saw it in the theater.

Getting to the point of this thread, however, I just plan on finding the most inconsicuous extension cord I can find for mine and plugging it into the same outlet as my subwoofer. They have some pretty cool devices for hiding cords, so I'm not too worried about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks