What's new

Problems in setup of Denon AVR-3808CI (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Marty Troum
Just spent three days trying to learn the proper setup for the Denon AVR-3808CI by trial and error. The manual is close to useless and the variations of settings is mind-boggling. I have a Samsung Blu-Ray Player (HDMI), a Pioneer Laserdisc Player (also functions as CD transport, set as COAXIAL, Analog, and S-Video), an OPPO Multi-Disc Player (SACD/CD/DVD), and a Pioneer Mega-Changer (300 discs) hooked up to the 3808CI. The video output is HDMI to an Optoma projector.

I am trying desperately and unsuccessfully to get a CD to play on only two-channels (left & right) rather than any surround format. How should the parameters be set so that "STEREO" and/or "DIRECT" surround choices will result in a two-channel output? I only get sound out of the speakers when the other surround choices are selected...no sound when "DIRECT" or "STEREO" are chosen. It seems that "DIRECT" and "STEREO" are only output to Zone 2 (hooked up to my STAX Earspeakers) and not the main speakers.

Secondly, I have also tried unsuccessfully to get the 3808CI to output any of the hi-def soundtracks (DTS-HD, DOLBY-HD) from specific blu-ray discs and correctly show that on the display. It will only display "MULTI-CHANNEL-IN".

I'd appreciate some input from any folks who have the same Denon AVR and/or have some experience with the setup and the parameters in the GUI. Thanks for the help.
Marty T.

Real Name
Marty Troum
Forgot to check the box to get email notifications...did it on this one.

Also, found the solution to the problem by trial & error with a little help from the folks at Denon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.