What's new

Presumed Innocent/Frantic Blu-Ray - Double Feature Review (1 Viewer)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
This new release was supposed to be released yesterday, but as yet I've not found anywhere that actually has it in stock.

It it simply a re-pressing of the old version, or is this really a version with the corrected soundtrack....? Can anyone confirm please....?

http://****/kjuqk6

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Any information about this? Amazon and other sites seem to have only just got it in stock. DVD Empire has a back cover but they have simply re-posted the previous release. Why would Warner re-issue it if it just the same? Where are you James?

PeterK939

Auditioning
Real Name
PeterK939
I've gone ahead and ordered the new release from amazon - I'd rather take a chance on this (and at least have the blu-ray version), than spend anymore time waiting around.
Will post back the results when it arrives.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by PeterK939
I've gone ahead and ordered the new release from amazon - I'd rather take a chance on this (and at least have the blu-ray version), than spend anymore time waiting around.
Will post back the results when it arrives.
Thanks Peter. Here's hoping we can finally have the true theatrical version of this fantastic film. I hope you don't have to suffer the same disappointment as I did when I received the French BD last year!

Good luck.

PeterK939

Auditioning
Real Name
PeterK939
Folks - we have a result - blu-ray arrived today and I've just gone through the thread to check the deficient scenes - the default soundtrack is in English.
Ordered from amazon.com - blu-ray is region free. There's no french soundtrack - just English and Espanol

Going back through the thread, I've checked the following - all in English:

• Hotel Room scene after the bellboy wakes him up "What time is ? " Bellboy:"10 past 10"

• Alleyway scene interrogating the guy from Alien 4: "What exactly did you see ?"

• Interrogation in Michelle's apartment: all dialogue ("Crazy American") between the two spies, Michelle, Walker in English

• Hotel check-in scene - all in English. I originally got that one wrong where the wife asked to hold all calls in French - looking at the lip movement, it's clear the original dialogue was in English

Ordering this was the easy part - all credit has to go to James for (presumably) making this possible.

PeterK939

Auditioning
Real Name
PeterK939
I should just clarify - just in case it's not clear above - all dialogue between French actors is still in French - e.g. Flower Shop :) Ringing the Concierge at home, Cafe that Walker goes into first and orders the Espresso - which is exactly as expected

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Peter-

Thank you so much for reporting on this. I've been checking the site every day since you said you'd ordered it!

I'm so pleased that we can finally watch this masterpiece as intended by the director - I've already placed an order with Amazon. (I managed to combine it with my Barry Lyndon BD I've been looking forward to so long....)

I'm sure I'll post here again once I've watched the BD, but for now, I'd like to thank James for making this happen, and Peter for bravely testing the water!

Cheers to you both from Australia,
Will

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome; thanks for getting to the bottom of this! Even more exciting is that it resulted in a corrected version. I look forward to ordering the updated discs.

PeterK939

Auditioning
Real Name
PeterK939
Pleasure Will :) I've actually been checking the site myself most days - I'm hoping James will come back and give an update

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Dayumn!!!! I had no idea the corrected version had been issued. I emailed Polanski's assistant about a week ago to check in, as I hadn't heard anything back from her in a while.

Perhaps Warner Home Video didn't even bother to tell Polanski's office. With how chaotic their customer service was for me before, I wouldn't be surprised.

I hadn't thought to check in here, but am so glad I did. Especially grateful to Peter for gambling on ordering the new disc:)

I just called Amazon 800 and got a replacement copy of the new Blu-Ray, it's supposed to be delivered on Friday.

Cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Do I seem a bit excited? :) )

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
My next step after getting the new disc is going to be emailing all the various Blu-Ray review websites and letting them know they need to amend their reviews to reflect the corrected disc. That's the only way consumers will ever become aware of this.

I'll also be emailing Polanski's asst to let her know the issue is resolved.

Nobody can say the change was an "artistic decision" anymore:)

Cannot wait!!!!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well done James. That is a remarkable and unique result - to contact the director, who takes up the issue with the studio, which issues a corrected version very quickly. I don't think anyone's ever managed that before! I'm sure Warner Bros won't say anything publicly about the error - they've just quietly released it into the market place. The problem, of course, is that old copies of the disc will still be around, making it difficult to know which version will be received if ordering on-line.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Originally Posted by Douglas R
Well done James. That is a remarkable and unique result - to contact the director, who takes up the issue with the studio, which issues a corrected version very quickly. I don't think anyone's ever managed that before! I'm sure Warner Bros won't say anything publicly about the error - they've just quietly released it into the market place. The problem, of course, is that old copies of the disc will still be around, making it difficult to know which version will be received if ordering on-line.

Thanks!!

I agree though about the old copies, I feel bad for people who will buy it unknowingly. I saw an endcap at Best Buy this weekend with a stack of them. I'd assume they were still the old versions.

Once I get the new version I'll compare them to see if there's any change in the packaging or disc artwork to let people know which one to pick up.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Did Amazon replace your copy gratis? If so, was this because the first disc was deemed "defective." I bought the set from Amazon as well, so if they are replacing them that would be great to know. Thanks again, James!

Originally Posted by James Luckard
Dayumn!!!! I had no idea the corrected version had been issued. I emailed Polanski's assistant about a week ago to check in, as I hadn't heard anything back from her in a while.

Perhaps Warner Home Video didn't even bother to tell Polanski's office. With how chaotic their customer service was for me before, I wouldn't be surprised.

I hadn't thought to check in here, but am so glad I did. Especially grateful to Peter for gambling on ordering the new disc:)

I just called Amazon 800 and got a replacement copy of the new Blu-Ray, it's supposed to ship on Friday and be delivered on Monday.

Cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Do I seem a bit excited? :) )

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg
Did Amazon replace your copy gratis? If so, was this because the first disc was deemed "defective." I bought the set from Amazon as well, so if they are replacing them that would be great to know. Thanks again, James!
I lucked into getting the single most intelligent Amazon operator I've ever dealt with. It's a convoluted story, there's no formal route to exchange the discs, but in the end the new copy should be free after an eventual refund for the return of my old disc. Delivery is scheduled for Friday. I'll fill everyone in with more details after I have the disc in hand.

Once I have watched it and know for a fact it's the right version, I'll:

1) contact Amazon and ask them to stop selling the old version
2) contact the various BR review websites and ask them to post notices for consumers
3) contact Warner Home Video again and ask them to do an exchange program

My crusade continues:)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I still don't understand where that unapproved soundtrack originated from. Just strange, and how/why did it get archived at WB as the original English audio for them to pull when they made the BD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks