What's new

Pre/pro Help. (1 Viewer)

Jeff AW

Stunt Coordinator
As one who is on the short list in reservation for a 950, I don't know if I can hack yet another delay. (I reserved in the just under the first 48 hours) So I need some help with some comparison shopping to find a suitable "replacement" for the 950..

My thoughts..

Outlaw 950-Would love to get this but have been waiting a LOOOONG time now.. My patience is thin, but I can wait if there is no suitable, reasonably priced "replacement". Price 900 bucks new...

Aragon Soundstage-Older but can be upgraded "close" to the new Stage One. Problem, I've never heard one before. Can pick em up for 1500-1800 bucks used.

B&K Ref 30-Bit pricey for me.. I have my brothers hooked up to my system now... Its real nice.... 1900-2200 bucks used...

Sony TA-E9000ES- Lost of good reviews of this. Sounds nice, upgradeable.... 700-800 bucks used.

I guess what I am looking for is in the 1500 or less range for a "decent" well sounding processor... I've had thoughts of the B&K Ref20, Anthem Avm-2, Rotel's 1066 but I can't find any pricing on the 1066 and I've heard its had some problems.....

Anyone have any suggestions or heard any of these that I am considering? Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Jeff

Milton

Auditioning
You may have read this before but the Atlantic Tech.P2000 is the same unit as the Outlaw.;)

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I have been very happy with the E9000es. If you pick one of these up used, make sure it has version 2.01 with the second remote. It has great triple option bass management. Add the P9000es new from oade.com for $475 and for a total of about $1200 you will have great setup. This Sony WAS slightly ahead of the times and it is still relevant for 5.1 setups.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hi Milton,
Yeah, I do know they are made by the same manufacturer, and look similar, but has it been established that they are exactly the same?
Marantz and HK during some model years had this same thing.
In any event, the original post was looking for alternatives and the Atlantic may be available or maybe because of the price "more available" than the 950, even if it comes out later.
That was my general point.:D
John Casler

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Between the Soundstage and the Ref 30, I'd choose the Soundstage, especially considering the cheaper price. The Soundstage is definitely worth more than the Ref 30, and sounds/performs better too. The Sony is a price/performance leader, and is Stereophile rated A too, so it should be pretty good. I'm not sure how it compares to the more "exotic" brands/models like the B&K and Aragon though.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
the Soundstage can be traded directly to Mondial for credit towards the new Aragon Stage One. the exact timeline and specifics have yet to be finalized, but you can get more info in the Acurus forum on the Klipsch web site (www.klipsch.com).

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
If you have any intrest in a Lexicon ( used ) MC-1 let me know. I can sometimes get my hands on them for about $ 3500 Canadian.

I am not sure what this would be in American $$$ but I know that it is a kick A** deal here in Canada. The unit originally sold for $ 10000.00 List Canadian.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Lexicon DC-2 DTS or DC-1 DTS, assuming you can live without analog pass-through, and especially if you can accomodate a 7.1 speaker array. The DC-2 offers better sonics, more digital inputs, more S-Video inputs, and an RS232 interface.

A DC-1 DTS v4 should be in the $1250 range, DC-2 under $2K.

The MC-1 has better video switching than the DC-2, the direct-to-DAC inputs, a lower noise floor, and is usually in the $2-$2.5K range on the used market.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
From what I have heard, the Atlantic Technologies processor is a bit different from the Outlaw piece, and has some upgraded parts inside. I assume that it will be discounted from the $1600 retail so it may well be worth it.

Jeff AW

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to hang on.. It's hard though... My first choice is the 950. I am just trying to weigh options. Thanks everyone who's responding, I'm soaking up the info like a sponge. :)
Right now I am in the middle of a B&K Ref 30 "Demo". My brother has graciously let me demo his processor for the last few days. The ref 30 is real real nice. Still its a bit out of my price range, and from what I am hearing, that the 900 buck 950 is as sonically as good as the Ref 30. I still need to hear the 950 for me to beleive that. Luckily they have a 30 day return policy.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

I exchanged e-mails with Ron Fone at Sherbourn the other day about the release and features of their version of the Eastech/950. Ron seemed to be hinting at a number of differences, but was only specific about 2. First, the unit will have the standard Sherbourn front panel. In case you haven't seen a Sherbourn amp, the standard front panel is a 1/4 inch steel plate. I believe most manufacturers use 1/8 or 3/16 inch aluminum.

The second difference that he was specific about was a change in the component video filtering to increase the bandwidth to 55MHz. The 950's bandwidth is 45MHz.

Release is still scheduled for early to mid-June and the MSRP will be $1500.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks