What's new

Pre-code Movies (1 Viewer)

Marilyn_A

Auditioning

Derek...I have Love Me Tonight on vhs. I heard that Gabby Hayes has a small part of a grocery clerk in it...I missed that when I watched it. I wonder if that was before he had all his teeth pulled out? And C. Aubrey Smith (?) SINGS in it! My fave line from LMT is; MC to JM "Ah yes, all I have to do is close my eyes and I can see exactly how to make your dress...." JM to MC; "Open your eyes immediatly!" Or something to that effect, anyway, it was very funny.

I'll check out the others on your list that I don't know of. Thank you for the list.

"A DREAMER IS ONE WHO CAN ONLY FIND HER WAY BY MOONLIGHT..." (OSCAR WILDE)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

lol, sort of.
there are some bare bottom shots in a mens locker room for the ladies out there- can't remember if Crabbe bare bum is on camera but i think it is.

its a real shame someone isn't releasing these.
i wonder if they are in the public domain...?

guess i was wrong about Roan having Female.
it sounded familiar though.
i must have seen the poster for it in a book recently.

Marilyn_A

Auditioning
What I want: (among other things)
All Bette Davis movies in a collection
All Joan Crawford movies in a collection
All Humphrey Bogart......etc.

Is there such a thing? I've seen Hitchcock, mysteries, horrors, sci-fi, comedy but never film collections of a single star. What's the deal with that? Am I just whistling dixie here?

"The pursuit of excellence is gratifying and healthy.
The pursuit of perfection is frustrating, neurotic, and a terrible waste of time."

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I believe that Fugitive from a Chain Gang was announced in the same WB chat (actually I think it was the interview Robert Harris did awhile back) that Public Enemy came up.

Yes, Warners probably took more advantage of the pre-code film atmosphere than any other studio, really going with the "ripped from the headlines" stories full of violence and sex. MGM was huge at the time, but was more of a prestige studio and was less inclined to go for the saltier stories.

Still, the top filmmakers of this era were quite good, which is why films like Public Enemy and Grand Hotel are so good, "pre-code style" or otherwise. Sound was a setback as people learned how to really utilize it as more than a gimmick, but the most gifted directors/producers really took off with it.

One other thing about the era, it features lots of strong influence from European directors like the already named Lubitsch. After shining in the 20's, H'wood really scooped a lot of these guys up in an effort to bring artistic prestige to their own studio line and name.

Ivan, interesting to hear about a copy in R2 for Wings. I wonder what the source was?

IvanT

Agent
Wish I could tell you, but I don't really know. My Japanese reading skills are limited, but as far as I can see, the box mainly gives info about the storyline and cast/directors. I haven't actually watched the full movie yet, but according to my player the length of movie is about 140 min, which seems about right.

I have not been able to locate the movie on Amazon.jp, but here is one place that sells it if you want to see what it looks like. The publisher is Panasonic and it's definitely a legal edition (i.e. not a bootleg or anything like that).

If somebody is interesting in tracking it down, the catalogue number is CPVD-1145 and the Japanese translation of the title that you can copy/paste into a search box is: つばさ .

The scary part is that DVD came with a booklet listing other movies in the same series and the years start with 1914 and end with 1959 with at least a couple of movies in each. One of the titles listed in 1924 for example is "Greed".

So, yeah, as I said... the choice of classic movie DVDs is amazing in Japan for reasons that I am not sure I fully understand. :)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Another film that just came to mind would be the Rouben Mamoulian version of "Dr. Jekyll" starring Frederick March & Miriam Hopkins. There is some pretty racy content in that including a nearly nude side shot of Ms. Hopkins. I personally think that this is the best version of the Jekyll story to date.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Marilyn, I just find this website that you might find interesting if you haven't seen it. It cover '25-'35 films. I've just started looking at it so I can't tell you more.

Marilyn_A

Auditioning

WOW! I've just spent a good hour and a half going through that website. It is chocked full of information listing so many movies...pre-code and silent, too.

Thank you so much for the link.

I have received BIRD OF PARADISE (1932) w/Delores Del Rio & Joel McCrae D, King Vidor and THE LADY REFUSES (1931) w/Betty Compson. I have watched TLR and found it highly entertaining and am amazed at how "modern" the storyline seems and how fascinating the set decoration and fashions are. These movies are such visual candy...they also broaden your understanding of your grandparents and great-grandparents lives.

"If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
MADAM SATAN. This is a film which deserves to be seen: as I recall, a musical directed by Cecil B. DeMille which nearly destroyed his career as an incredibly expensive flop. The second half involves a masquerade ball aboard a Zeppelin... I myself would love to see it.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I heard on NPR this morning that the original version of BABY FACE has been discovered, and will soon be hitting some screens.

Marilyn_A

Auditioning
I am thrilled to hear that. What a cool movie that was! Little Ruby Stevens (Barbara Stanwyck) really acted tuff in that. I wonder if this original has the "bad girl" ending or the "good girl" (the redeemed) ending that finally came out? Seems I heard that the first ending with BS merrily going her way after honest hubby George Brent committed suicide was considered TOO BAD so the ending was reshot with her staying with him and saving his life.
Marilyn
"It's a blizzard, it's a blizzard, we're all gonna' die!"

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I have both the Forbidden Hollywood laserdisc collections, which contain some of the great pre-Code films, such as Skyscraper Souls, Three on a Match, Employee's Entrance, Big Business Girl , I've Got Your Number, Ladies They Talk About, Female and Beauty and the Boss. Thirteen films in total. Some of the transfers are deplorable, but they're still great to have and I don't see MGM or Warners releasing them anytime soon in comparable DVD collections. Laserdisc seemed much more appreciative of the true film buff, despite the paucity of its penetration comparable to DVD.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I bought all of the Roan Group "Pre-Code Hollywood" collection through Troma's website over a year ago now.
The others not thus far mentioned are Lonely Wives and Behind Office Doors.

Lonely Wives (1931) stars Edward Everett Horton as a womanizer(!) and is a pretty goofy comedy. Fun, but a puff pieces. Behind Office Doors (1931) stars Mary Astor as a working woman who wants to make good, but she is has complicated relationships with a couple of men.

Neither is GREAT, but at the sale prices I just saw Troma selling these for ($2.95) I am quite happy to own them.

Marilyn_A

Auditioning

I have noticed that a lot of movies I like are available only on laserdisk....can you still buy players? I really don't know anything about them at all. Hopefully, some company will see profits in pulling out these little gems and we will be able to purchase them on dvd.
Marilyn

* ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ *
"You're braver than you believe, and
stronger than you seem, and smarter
than you think."
Christopher Robin to Pooh
* ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ *

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
I am going to, eventually, set-up a webpage will all these Pre-Codes on DVD listed. Here are the Roan Group ones: Pre-Code Hollywood #1 - The Risque Years (Of Human Bondage / Millie / Kept Husbands) HERE, Pre-Code Hollywood #2 - Bird of Paradise HERE, Pre-Code Hollywood #3 - Behind Office Doors HERE, Pre-Code Hollywood #4 - Lonely Wives HERE. DVDBeaver will try to review them soon.

Best,

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I understand what pre-code is, but what really is the appeal of it? Is it the raciness or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks