What's new

Power Amp - 2ch v's 5ch for my setup (1 Viewer)

GlennM

Auditioning
Hello All,

A mate of mine got into my ear about power amps and the current Emotiva specials going on, being the impulsive bunny I am I'm ready to pull the trigger. Now I was all ready to splash on a UPA-7 figuring one day I'll add another pair of speakers for the rears. The UPA-7 seemed the most logical - 7.1 get a 7ch power amp, yeah? - when I was advised I would be better getting a 2ch power amp for the mains and run the rest of the speakers from the AVR as a starting point.
Further research is finding quite a few of the HT 'philes running a 2ch amp for the mains like the XPA-2 and a 3ch or 5ch amp for the rest depending on how many speakers they have.

My setup is a Harman Kardon AVR635, Samsung BD-3600 connected to the HK via multichannel RCA inputs (no HDMI), speakers are all Energys: C300 Mains, C-C100 Centre and C100 Rears (bookshelf), not running a sub at this time.

We are 100% movie watchers, like our action and a good bit of volume. We're not adverse to spending a little coin to get the most out of our experience and will happily build something over time. Any music we might happen listen to is sitting in the background so doesn't weigh in to any considerations.

Any insight or opinions on this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm far from an amp expert but I also think a 2 channel for the fronts would be all you need (but maybe not all you want .

GlennM

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply, Gene. The Energys have respectible bass output that should tide us over. We used to have a Yamaha 8" active sub but it went a little loopy and we haven't really missed it since we stopped using it. I will take your advice on board though and won't discount a sub purchase.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Just to re-iterate. A good sub is paricularly needed for action movies. Bass down to 23-25 hz (or lower) can really be felt. Those 300's can't come near that. That 8" Yamaha will seem like a toy compared to one I mentioned. It doesn't surprise me that you don't miss it . I promise I won't say "I told you so". Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

GlennM

Auditioning
Thanks Gene.

You too are an advocate for a 2ch p-amp for the mains, is there an easy poweramps 101 link for information on why someone would go down that path instead of a 5ch or 7ch from the get go? I understand it has something to do with the power output, but I'm not quite getting it yet...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by GlennM You'll probably want/need something at least 12" -- and w/ plenty of its own power -- if you want a serious upgrade.

As for what other people want vs what you should consider, well, not everyone is only 100% vested in movie soundtracks, so that (combined w/ what big budget action movie soundtracks typically require) would factor significantly into things. For instance, audiophiles who are interested in the hirez music surround formats (like DVD-A and SACD and anything else comparable) would likely want much closer matched channels than what you need for movie soundtracks -- and the quality (if not necessarily the quantity) of the power would also be more critical for hirez music playback than for action movies...

_Man_

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You too are an advocate for a 2ch p-amp for the mains, is there an easy poweramps 101 link for information on why someone would go down that path instead of a 5ch or 7ch from the get go? I understand it has something to do with the power output, but I'm not quite getting it yet...

There's nothing wrong with getting a 5 or 7 channel amp, I just don't think you need one and the savings can be better spent elsewhere. I just feel a good 2 channel amp (or a 3 channel one ) and a good subwoofer will make your system perform better than a 5/7 channel amp and no subwoofer.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Take Gene's initial advice.

If you even consider buying an external power amp or doing anything before getting a good sub, you really should just give up the whole thing and take up a hobby of hard alcohol. A good, properly set up sub will actually give infinitely more "power" benefit than anything you can do with amps. Properly set up means, running all speakers on "Small" (yeah, I know, they have "respectable" bass. Run them on small anyway) and at a decent crossover (meaning, not the lowest you have available, go around 80-100Hz).

Seriously, get a good sub. External amps are fine tuning once everything else more fundamental has already been done.

Get a good sub.

GlennM

Auditioning
Thank you all for your input, a bit to think about now (and I was so ready to pull the trigger on a PA too - better right than remorse though).

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I second John Rice's recommendation. Right now, you are using your receiver to run power robbing bass frequencies to speakers that aren't made to handle those frequencies. So you are taxing your amplifier to produce sounds that your speakers are incapable of producing; thus robbing power from the frequencies your speakers can produce (hence your lack of power). Before you waste your money on outboard amps for your speakers, get a good powered sub and unload all those juice robbing frequencies to a device that is made to handle them. Then your receiver can concentrate on the frequencies your speakers were made to reproduce. With your receiver breathing a little easier, you probably won't need any outboard amps.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Totally agreed.

Glenn,

Jeff and John put it perfectly and to the point on what should really matter most to you, especially given your current setup and interest.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks