What's new

Possible issue with my Hewlett-Packard laptop (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I bought this back in 2016, for the specific purpose of turning my CD collection into mp3 files for my car. I haven’t turned this on in quite a long time. I tried to fire it up this morning, and it’s been sitting for an hour with nothing but a blue screen- I can’t get the home page up. Is this laptop dead? Appreciate any feedback.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I bought this back in 2016, for the specific purpose of turning my CD collection into mp3 files for my car. I haven’t turned this on in quite a long time. I tried to fire it up this morning, and it’s been sitting for an hour with nothing but a blue screen- I can’t get the home page up. Is this laptop dead? Appreciate any feedback.
Is it a blank blue screen or something similar to this? The best option you have is to simply restart it. If it continues to do the same thing, you'll probably need bootable media to attempt an OS reinstallation. Many PC's now have a recovery partition included for this purpose. You can check by restarting the machine and pressing the BIOS shortcut key [usually, F1, or DEL but could be F2, F10 or F12] during startup. If you're able to get into BIOS, look for a boot sub-menu and a recovery partition option.

If none of the above yields acceptable results then, sadly, you're probably better off replacing it as laptops are generally not worth repairing, cost-wise.

1693574410821.png

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And if you're getting that "We're collecting some error info" screen you do *not* need to wait for it to finish (which can take a very long time) - just reboot it and try again. It may take 2-4 boot attempts before you're presented with the Windows recovery screen. It will provide options ranging from attempting to restore from the last backup/system restore point, to performing a clean install. It looks something like this (may be different depending on OS version):

1693576055625.png

Select Troubleshoot to get this screen:
1693576078740.png

Try "Startup Repair" first - then possibly "Uninstall Updates" if you think an update caused the issue. Finally just try a "System Restore" to wipe it and start over. IIRC it'll have 2 options - one that keeps existing stuff and another that blows it away.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Is it a blank blue screen or something similar to this? The best option you have is to simply restart it. If it continues to do the same thing, you'll probably need bootable media to attempt an OS reinstallation. Many PC's now have a recovery partition included for this purpose. You can check by restarting the machine and pressing the BIOS shortcut key [usually, F1, or DEL but could be F2, F10 or F12] during startup. If you're able to get into BIOS, look for a boot sub-menu and a recovery partition option.

If none of the above yields acceptable results then, sadly, you're probably better off replacing it as laptops are generally not worth repairing, cost-wise.

View attachment 196439
It’s a blank blue screen, so far. Will try to power it up again, when I get home in a little while.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I can’t get anything to come up, other than a solid blue screen. Looks like it’s dead. Unfortunately, it looks like I may not be able to get another laptop that has a built-in CD drive. 🙁

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I can’t get anything to come up, other than a solid blue screen.
Do you have a bootable Windows disc? If so [and you haven't already] give that a try.

it looks like I may not be able to get another laptop that has a built-in CD drive. 🙁
True but you can buy an external drive that connects via USB for under $50.00.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Do you have a bootable Windows disc? If so [and you haven't already] give that a try.

True but you can buy an external drive that connects via USB for under $50.00.
Thanks for these suggestions. I think I’ll take a road trip to Staples today. Is this Windows bootable disc something I can find there?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for these suggestions. I think I’ll take a road trip to Staples today.
Unless you need it right now, you'll probably do better ordering an optical drive from Amazon.

Is this Windows bootable disc something I can find there?
Unfortunately, no. They have to be created using procedures outlined by Microsoft and require a product key, a sort of digital proof of purchase. Look for a label similar to this one on the laptop.

1693662470891.png

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I just browsed at Staples, and they didn’t have any external CD drives there.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Don't give up on shutting it on and off. Try disconnecting the power cord and depressing the power button for 10 or 30 seconds. Wait awhile. Then plug it in again and press the power button on.

Or try shutting off again and press the power button on immediately.

I lost the sound on my HP. Everything said it was working. Holding the power button down until it shut off and restarting brought the sound back.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Unless you need it right now, you'll probably do better ordering an optical drive from Amazon.

Unfortunately, no. They have to be created using procedures outlined by Microsoft and require a product key, a sort of digital proof of purchase. Look for a label similar to this one on the laptop.

View attachment 196587
If reinstalling Win10/11 on the same system you shouldn't need a product key as that'll be stored in your online profile both "require" to do the installation/initial setup. Once installed you can switch to a local account but that info is still in MS's cloud. Most (all?) systems (laptops especially) purchased in the last 5 or so years no longer have that product key label as it's usually imbeded in the BIOS. BUT you can *still* use a Win7 product key to activate Win10. If your laptop *does* have such a label it'll likely be in the battery compartment of a system with a removable battery.

You can use the instructions from MS to create a bootable USB drive for installation instead of a disc. If you have a USB-SATA cable you can also use an old SATA drive as the USB drive for media creation.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just browsed at Staples, and they didn’t have any external CD drives there.
Stores may vary, I guess. :( I saw them in two local stores around here when I was shopping for a new desktop for family at the end of July and thought they might need an external drive as they've saved lots of things to CD's over the years and most new computers don't have them built-in. I think they were in the aisle with portable storage items like USB stick drives and SD cards. I recall they weren't actually near the computers in my stores.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Very good news. Not to state the obvious but you need to do a complete backup and create recovery media immediately. It's probably just a matter of time before the problem returns.
The message on the screen was the battery had no juice, so I assume it took a while for the external power to wake up the battery.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The message on the screen was the battery had no juice, so I assume it took a while for the external power to wake up the battery.
Even so, I would take John's advice and create recovery media. Also, you probably should make a habit of plugging in the laptop, booting it up on occasion, and applying Windows updates. I have a laptop that only gets used when we travel or we have a Zoom call, and I try to do this on a monthly basis. I will update the few applications that I use on it, as well.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yeah... keep it charged. If it has a replaceable battery maybe look into purchasing a replacement since it took so long for it to charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks