What's new
World Wide Stereo

Ported Or Sealed Subs?*** (1 Viewer)

funkdoktor

Agent
Real Name
joe budden
Why is that most subwoofer systems in home theater is ported? Im from the car audio world and sealed enclosures for subwoofers usually offers more bass accuracy where ported enclosures are usually a little sluggish with when trying to reproduce fast bass hits. the only advantage ported has over sealed is the ability to get louder on different frequencies (depending what the port is tuned to) which i think why most of the industry (if not the whole) is using ported. Im not venting or mad at all. im just curious. Does anybody care to school me on home theater subwoofer design? From what i've gathered there is no difference between home theater subwoofers and car audio subwoofers.

728x90

bert lancaster

Auditioning
Real Name
bret lasater
my understanding is that for a much larger area in cubic feet, such as a room as opposed to a car. a ported enclosure is much more efficient which makes them cheaper to produce because you don't have to put 2000 watts to one twelve which is what you would have to do to get the same amount of output from a ported twelve on 300 to 500 watts, if you are interested JL audio has come out with a line of sealed super high powered home subs, but they are high

funkdoktor

Agent
Real Name
joe budden

thats the reason i had expected myself. thanks for your input
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

didnt' know jls line of home audio subs were sealed. anybody have any feedback with jls line of home audio subs? jl is a pricey brand to pick up in the car audio market. quality products for the most part but from a price perspective not worth it. a lot of other subs just as good if not better for the money. then again, thats just my opinion.

Happy New Years Everyone
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You are correct in there there is no difference between a 'car sub' and a 'home sub'. It's all just marketing. There are subs with Theile/Small parameters that lend themselves to working in small environments. They would not perform well in a home environment.

Bret is correct about ported subs being more efficient. It was explained best years ago with Hoffman's Iron Law (google it).

The JL Fathom and Gotham get awsome reviews but they should. At those prices I wouldn't expect anything less. But it has also been shown that other subs can out perform them for less and a well designed DIY sub can beat them for a fraction of the price.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks