What's new

Porcupine Tree-Where do I start? (1 Viewer)

mackie

Supporting Actor
I guess Blackwater Park will be my next purchase to see what good "death growls" sound like. It seems the past couple of years my tastes in music have started to mellow out some. I still really like progressive rock which is why I've been so excited about discovering PT, but I'm not sure about the new heavy metal.

Lee M T

Second Unit
I hear where you're coming from Mackie. I was never into the extreme heavy riffs. I heard Opeth's Damnation album first and very much liked it. There are no heavy riffs or death vocals on this album at all. It's all clean and mellow.

When I grabbed some other Opeth albums, I was in utter shock and completely disappointed. However, now I own all seven of their albums as well as their DVD (which is where I learned about SW and PT). I am definitely an Opeth fan. Steven Wilson has mentioned in a few interviews that he wasn't much into metal in the past until he came across bands like Opeth. He said when he shows other people Opeth's work, they are amazed that "sophistication" can appear in metal music. I agree with his thinking.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Cool - I'll get them a try. I'll probably have to listen to them on headphones since the significant other barely tolerates what I listen to now:)

I do appreciate well crafted music with thought provoking lyrics.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
On a number of occasions I've been disappointed by a band that plays good music but (for me) spoils it with the "cookie monster" vocals. (Love that phrase, guys!)

I do dig Opeth, though, even if I wish they'd be a little more melodic vocally. :)

Tony_Woods

Stunt Coordinator
Still Life.

I'm a big fan of both Opeth & PT. I saw the PT & Opeth show in Boulder CO a few years back, good times.

I can't find Blackfield for the life of me but the couple songs that I've heard sound great.

Manus

Second Unit
Details and snippets from Blackfield available here :

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=249648561

After a bit of dabbling on ebay I've ended up with 2 copies of 'Lightbulb Sun ' ( not as polished as IA or DW but still excellent in places) with SD on the way ;)

I agree with the posts above that its great to find a band good enough to be worth a trawl through their back catalogue .
Pity about the fiasco surrounding the Special edition of Deadwing :thumbsdown: but thats not the bands fault really.

M

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I wish you guys could see them live on stage. I saw them last week in NYC and they just rock out. This a band that is getting better and better every year.

Steve Wilson mentioned that Porcupine Tree will return to NYC this October.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Regarding the comparison between PT & Opeth, I think Lee said it best:

For a great example of this check out the song "The Drapery Falls" from Blackwater Park.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
A few things:

Others have hinted this, but there still may be some confusion: Opeth's Damnation has no growling vocals at all, and is quite mellow and melodic. Blackwater Park is a great example of the mixed style and appeals to many that don't care for death metal (myself included).

Wilson is not producing the new Opeth due to scheduling (too busy supporting Deadwing).

Porcupine Tree is touring right now, so keep your eyes open. I just saw them on Wednesday in Cleveland.

Chris

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I have to say I am totally in the middle of a PT binge right now.

I picked up IA about 2 years ago and after a couple listens it sounded good. Left it a lone for a bit, came back, and gradually got sucked in more and more. I think I got Blackfield next last summer, and again, first few listens I liked, but something happens, and I just get hooked. I then got Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream from Korea for about $25 US each brand new which wasn't too bad. I gave them a couple spins each, liked them but did not listen to them profusely....yet. Picked up Signify and same deal. Got Recordings of Ebay for about $40 last January.

Fast forward to March of this year. In anticipation of Deadwing, I started listening to all my PT stuff. It was like Christmas. I got sucked in to Signify, SD and LS all at once, and still haven't taken them out of my CD wallet. I love every song. Recordings is great too, but not on the same level since it's not really a full-fledged album. Still good stuff.

Then Deadwing came. Once again, first couple istens were just taking it in and thinking it was good. Now it has me just like the others. I cannot stop playing this CD since 4/26. I love how different it is from IA, but still them. Actually I had gotten the Lazarus single first, and remember not being terribly impressed by Lazarus as my first taste of Deadwing. But hearing the song in the context of the album made so much of a difference. Such a beautiful piece. Different songs are favorites of mine at different times, but right now off DW my favorite tracks wound be Deadwing, Lazarus, Halo and Arriving Somewhere... and Open Car.

As a bass player, it's so nice to hear such a good player get a great spot in the mix. I love his work on every album, and you can always count on at least one tune to start with a cool grooving bass line. I love how they turn around the feel on Hatesong from Lightbulb Sun. I've been driving my bandmates nuts with that opening line. :)

I guess I'm gushing at this point, but it's been a long, long time since a new (to me) band has hit me so hard.

If I had to rate the releases I have based on my current preference, I'd probably have Deadwing and Lightbulb Sun in a tie with IA very close. I'm so familiar with IA now it's hard for it to tie the others for the time being. Next would be Stupid Dream followed very closely by Signify. Blackfield would fit somewhere between IA and Stupid Dream.

Also, I know Steven was involved a little with the OSI album, which was Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Kevin Moore (Chroma Key, ex-Dream Theater) and Jim Matheos (Fates Warning.) Another great record-very PT-ish to my ears in terms of mood and soundscapes.

I hope they release the OOP titles with bonus tracks domestically-wound love to show my continued support for the band.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I've given Opeth's Blackwater Park a listen, and unfortunately it's not my Cup-o-Tea. I think it is exceptionally good for this type of music, but the death growls are too much for me. I did like some of the guitar parts, and it's exceptionally well produced.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Also, I know Steven was involved a little with the OSI album, which was Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Kevin Moore (Chroma Key, ex-Dream Theater) and Jim Matheos (Fates Warning.) Another great record-very PT-ish to my ears in terms of mood and soundscapes.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I would love to see Steven get more involved with OSI. The one song that he was involved in on the OSI CD is great, and his writing style really fits the guitrar work of Matheos. I know they are working on a second CD, but given the busy support for Deadwing, I doubt that will happen. I'm still looking forward to it though.

Chris

Tony_Woods

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, now that OSI has been mentioned, this thread needs a certain Daniel Gildenlow (who was supposed to be part of OSI) & his band Pain of Salvation. Also, check out Fates Warning, especially their lates few, A Pleasant Shade of Grey, Disconneceted & X.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
You know, I really respect PoS' ability and accomplishments, but their music does very little for me. To me their first release was their best. 10-4 on the Fates Warning though-A Pleasant Shade Of Gray is a masterpiece IMO.

Tony_Woods

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you, PLEASANT shade of gray. I'm at work so I don't have any music w/ me :frowning: How is this for sweet venues:

Fates Warning opens up for Queensryche, followed by Dream Theater, with an encore of DT & QR performing "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who and "2112" by Rush

or

Porcupine Tree opening up for Opeth performing a mellow set.

Pain of Salvation continues to blow my mind though. Their lates release, BE is just as amazing as Remedey Lane or The Perfect Element Pt. 1. 12:5 is mind blowing to me. Through all the lyrical, musical, and emotional changes they just click for me. Took a few listens though, so maybe you just need time ;)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely agree with you guys on Fates Warning. Love their stuff. I bought Awaken the Guardian on tape and wore it out. The original singer was an acquired taste but I liked him.

The last couple of albums are excellent. X has been in my regular rotation the last couple of weeks.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Tony,

I think part of it is I'm not really enamored with Daniel's voice. I know PoS probably takes mor elistens to fully appreciate just like PT, but the difference for me is I really like Steven's voice. That's also the reason why I've never been able to get into Radiohead. Technically I should love them, but his voice does not do it for me.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
Put me in the "I should like them more than I do" camp for PoS. I have 3 of their CDs I think, and they just don't quite reach me. I saw bot of the shows Tony mentioned: FW/QR/DT and Opeth/PT. I was kind of bummed with the FW set. No Mark Zonder and it was pretty short (being the opening opening sort of thing). I would like to see them inside doing their own show. Opeth/PT was great, as was PT on the recent Deadwing tour.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks