What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Plugging an mp3 player for a car? (1 Viewer)

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
I know there are some out there that claim that they can go through the fm radio, but how does that work (cig lighter in car?) I was thinking about a tape that works, but then remebered that my stereo doesn't have one (its an alpine that is xm compatible.)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Well, if you have an iPod or are willing to get one, your best bet (or a good bet, anyway) would probably be the Harman Kardon Drive + Play. You can plug that either to an aux input on your car stereo if you have one, or you can plug your antenna cable into its control box and connect the outgoing antenna cable from that control box to your stereo.

Now, I should say I've never used it, but I see no reason for it not to work as advertised, and it looks very slick indeed. You'd have to do some installation work but I doubt if it is that hard.

Not sure what other options you have, except for instance getting a short-range FM radio transmitter for your MP3 player and using that. The kit above does allow you to integrate it much more prettily though.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Depending on how old the Alpine is, they offer either a $99 box that will control the iPod from the radio controls or in 2006 they switched to a simple $29.99 iPod cable that gives you an even faster control interface. Both charge the iPod as you drive and allow you to keep the iPod safely locked up in the glove box or center console because all functionality is through the Alpine head unit. Look at Crutchfield for either option.

JKL1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Which head unit do you have? Many Alpines have a line in that you can use with almost any device. You just need to buy the appropriate adapter cable.

As pointed out many Alpines can be plugged directly to an iPod. Considering that you say yours is XM ready you probably have lots of options that are better than an FM modulator.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The downside of an FM modulator (my wife has one for use with her i-pod on long distance trips) is finding an FM station with nothing on it. Around here, people must be transmitting out of their basements because the FM dial is completely full...no open channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks