What's new

Please welcome my newest addition-B&W LCR600S3 (1 Viewer)

Richard_T

Second Unit
After much thinking and about it, I decided on the B&W LCR600 S3 as my new center channel. I was concerned a bit about how it would fit in with my 602 S2s but it seems to match pretty darn well indeed. It certainly is much fuller and dynamic than my CC6 ever was. At first I was going to go with the LCR60 S3 but I am so glad I went with the 600. I know it will take a while to work it in but so far I am very pleased with my purchase.

A couple of questions about it though. What setting should I use for the center? Large or leave it on small and let the sub do most of the heavy work? For that matter, should my 602 S2s also be set on small or large? Currently they are both set on small.

Also, my LCR 600S3 came with a small piece of black dense foam but what do I do with it? I think it has something to do with the rear port but the manual that came with the speaker says nothing about it. Any help would be great.

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats Richard! It was only a few weeks ago that I finished my 600 series 5.0 setup (except with an LCR60...couldnt defend the increase for my tiny room)... as for your questions..

I did a blind test switching between large and small settings for my 602 S3s, and found that i enjoyed the SMALL setting most of all. It really is true that they open up [a bit]. I confused myself by hitting the options many times over, so with my eyes closed, i did not know which setting was on (truely blind). That being said, I have a Hsu STF-2 taking care of the lower end.

The bung plugs are used to "soften the blow" of the bass from the speaker. If your speaker sounds too "boomy" (which i doubt it will, if set to small), you can insert the foam and itll cure a but of that bass loudness. Personally, I dont have them installed in any of my babies (602, 601, lcr60). Also, theyre suggested for use if you cant space the speaker out a few feet from the wall, thus also creating excess "boom".

Have fun!!

Richard_T

Second Unit
Wow, that's real intersting to know Carlos. I don't really have a boomy sound so I'll hold out on the bung plug for now. Maybe I'll leave them on small for now. Thanks! ;)

Richard_T

Second Unit
Just another quick couple of questions. 1) How long does it take to work in a new center channel before I can really get a feel of what it will perform like? 2) Is there anyway I can speed up the process other than watching movies night and day so the speaker will "work-in"? 3) I'm looking for a couple of good 5.1 DD/DTS concerts to buy. I have bought James Taylor's live and the Beacon Theater which sounds great up front but has little to no rear channel sound. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please no rap (crap) or hard rock since I'm not really into either type of music. Thanks!;)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Richard:

Don't worry too much about break-in. Just play music and watch movies like you would normally do...the rest will take care of itself.

I recommend The Eagles Hell Freezes Over concert, a great DTS disc. I also recommend Roy Orbison Black and White Night, which plays either DD or DTS.
Fleetwood Mac's The Dance is an excellent DD concert.
Great chice for a center channel. Keep it set to small and you'll get the most out of it. Enjoy.

Brandon Pop

Stunt Coordinator
I listened to a demo of the b&w 602's as the mains, alternating the lcr 60 with the lcr 600. With the lcr 60 it sounded muffled and very apparent that the sound was coming from 3 different sources up front. The lcr 600 on the other hand blended very well with the 602's. I was impressed, but being that the lcr 600 was a good chunk of change more, I opted for a full paradigm setup, but if I had the money I would have opted for the 602's and the 600.

Richard_T

Second Unit
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. What about Eric Clapton Unplugged? I have the CD which sound great and I would think the DVD in either DD or DTS would be fantastic. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks