What's new

Please help (Marantz SR-4300), hum and buzz (1 Viewer)

MikaelG

Agent
I've recently purchased a Marantz SR-4300 and I have a problem with it. I'm in Europe, so I have the 230 V / 50 Hz version.

It hums and buzzes out of it constantly, and pretty loud. I have connected it to several different speakers with different speaker cables, in different rooms, but that noise is still there. There is no way to listen to anything, cause it sounds like a 20 dollar old stereo amp.

The problem is not in any of the inputs, because I've connected it both to a source (both A and D) and two speakers, AND just connected it to one speaker, with no other cables, and it makes no difference.

When I hit the Mute button, or set the volume to 0, that is -72 dB, the noise is significantly reduced, however it's still there, and as soon as I just raise the volume to -71 dB, the noise gets about 10 times louder. The "noise volume" is pretty linear from -71 dB to about - 15 dB, from there it increases the more I turn on the volume wheel.

The buzz comes from the treble driver, (PPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS) and the hum comes from the bass driver. The hum sound, sounds exactly like when you've unplugged the cable from a guitar, connected to an amplifier (BRRRRROOOOOAAAAAMMMM)

The hum and buzz is also present when I've connected active speakers to the 6.1 pre out, for ex a subwoofer, it hums like crazy from it, it's unbearable.

The most strange part of all this, is that I've of course reported this to my retailer, and I've got a new one sent to me, but this sucker has the exact same problem. I don't understand, what the h-ll is wrong? :frowning:

I haven't checked with my neighbour yet if the hum appears in his appartment too, but I will. I have a bad feeling that it won't make any difference...

In all rooms that I've connected the amp, I've always connected it directly to the socket, with nothing else connected in the entire room (even the TV antenna).

I had a Denon AVR-1602 before and there was no such problem, eventhough everything was connected identically.

Any gurus who have experience with this problem that can help?

Thanx in advance

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Hi there,

I think you may have already tried this, but one thing to try is to plug it in with no sources connected at all. The only connection is to the speakers. Does it produce hum now? What about in the same config (No sources connected) and set to an optical digital input?

This will eliminate ground loops between gear. If it still hums, there is another problem. Try plugging it in at another location (ie. another apartment, or the store where you purchased it.)

2 units in a row with identical problems, while unlikely, is possible.

MikaelG

Agent
Thanx for your replies.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jonathan:

Yepp, I've tried that, I've just connected one speaker to it, with no other inputs, the noise is still there. Also tried the optical input, same thing.

Problem is that I've bought from an online store, however I have the same guaranties as when bought from a "normal" store.

I'm gonna try the receiver at my neighbours, he's gonna come home later this evening.

Matthew:

Do you perhaps have the link to that thread? I've been searching for it, but I can't find it.

thanx

Gerrit-Jan

Auditioning
Mikael

I had the same problem with my SR4300, a high frequency noise on all channels at low volume levels. I checked all my cables etc. but this did not make any difference. My dealer exchanged it for another SR4300 but again the same problem! This let me to believe that this is a particular SR4300 issue, so I upgraded to the SR5300. This one is perfect. It seems to sound better than the SR4300 as well. I only paid an extra 40 pounds for this upgrade and it was worth every penny.
Get yourself the SR5300 is my advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks