What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Please don't do that! Sequels and Remakes you did not see coming... (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
For some 2017 releases:
1) Saw needs to be sawed in half and thrown away!
2) Pirates of the Caribbean should be thrown in the nearest Cuban jail!
3) Alien needs to have it's passport torn up!
4) Amityville should change it's name to NoBodyCaresVille!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Frequently the films that are even worse than remakes and sequels are those based on TV properties. LIke remakes and sequels, the good ones are few and far between.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Remakes that I would like to see burned? Every single one of the "live action" remakes of animated films.

If they do well, and people like them, then good. For me however, there is something special/magical especially concerning early Disney animated features like Cinderella. I will never watch a live action version of animated Disney films. That is just my personal preference.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Because I can't name one modern Hollywood (post 1980) remake that was superior in any way to the original.

True Grit
The Thing
Ocean's Eleven?

Yup, there are 3 post-1980 remakes that easily top the original films. I find none of the 3 originals to be better than competent, and the Rat Pack "O11" is mostly pretty terrible.

A few more:

"The Fly" (1986)
"War of the Worlds" (2005)
"Dawn of the Dead" (2004)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Yup, there are 3 post-1980 remakes that easily top the original films. I find none of the 3 originals to be better than competent, and the Rat Pack "O11" is mostly pretty terrible.

A few more:

"The Fly" (1986)
"War of the Worlds" (2005)
In your opinion, not mine. To each his own.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I say this with peace and love but you're a sick maniac. :) I agree about The Fly and War Of The Worlds though.

EDIT: I think some other decent remakes made after 1980 are Cape Fear, Insomnia, King Kong, The Departed and Let Me In. That's not to say that they're definitively better than the original but they're still good movies.

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
For some 2017 releases:
1) Saw needs to be sawed in half and thrown away!
2) Pirates of the Caribbean should be thrown in the nearest Cuban jail!
3) Alien needs to have it's passport torn up!
4) Amityville should change it's name to NoBodyCaresVille!

I totally agree with you. All Hollywood ever thinks about is endless remakes;sequels;prequels and appalling remakes of superb European and Asian cinema. They never get it right in this respect.It is no wonder that I prefer European and Asian cinema.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
In your opinion, not mine. To each his own.[/QU

I disagree with you. The originals were classics.You had to see them when they were originally released to see why audiences loved them so much. The original THE FLY was hugely popular and a much discussed film at the time, especially the incredible ending. I still regard it as one of the all -time greats in sc-fi. cinema

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Somebody once said there were only seven stories so it is inevitable that the same story is constantly remade. I think this thread is basically saying there are too many remakes/reboots/reimagings which are poorly made with poor actors just for money. I think Batman is the most egregious example.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I say this with peace and love but you're a sick maniac. :) I agree about The Fly and War Of The Worlds though.

You say it with peace and love? Are you really Ringo Starr? :D

The original "Dawn of the Dead" is a good movie, but I think the remake is way more entertaining.

Even more controversial: I prefer the "Texas Chainsaw" remake to the original! :wave-hello:

EDIT: I think some other decent remakes made after 1980 are Cape Fear, Insomnia, King Kong, The Departed and Let Me In. That's not to say that they're definitively better than the original but they're still good movies.

I like the 2005 "Kong" but the original is better. 2005 "Kong" does beat 1976 "Kong", though.

Can't compare "Insomnia", "Departed" and "Let Me In" - never saw the originals.

Just saw the original "Cape Fear" recently and liked it a lot, but can't adequately compare to the remake because I've not seen the remake since 1991!

I didn't like the Scorsese version back then, though...

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Can't compare "Insomnia", "Departed" and "Let Me In" - never saw the originals.
Geez, the originals blow the American remakes out of the water. The American remake of Let Me In pretty much ruins the movie.

The American remake of The Vanishing was absolutely putrid, which was baffling since it was made by the same director. I'm not sure if it was the director or the studio that dumbed it down and gave it a horseshit happy ending.

The Cohen Bros True Grit is my favorite Western. It's closer to the book than the John Wayne version, which is probably in higher esteem if you're a John Wayne fan.

I can't comment on The Thing and The Fly since I've never seen the originals, but the remakes are horror classics on their own.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Geez, the originals blow the American remakes out of the water. The American remake of Let Me In pretty much ruins the movie.

Just a technical point - the original Swedish film was titled Let the Right One In, not Let Me In, and I agree 100% that it was far, far superior to the U.S. remake.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You say it with peace and love? Are you really Ringo Starr? :D
"Peace and love! Peace and love!"

The original "Dawn of the Dead" is a good movie, but I think the remake is way more entertaining.

Even more controversial: I prefer the "Texas Chainsaw" remake to the original! :wave-hello:
I'm glad I was sitting down when I read that last part :) because while I like the remake of TCM, I don't think it holds a candle to the original. I'm in the minority but I hate the Dawn remake.

Geez, the originals blow the American remakes out of the water.
Like I said, I'm not saying that they're better than the originals- just that I don't think that they're bad movies unlike the remakes of The Fog or Halloween II or The Day The Earth Stood Still or Arthur, etc. which are both worse than the original and are also bad.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"Peace and love! Peace and love!"

I'm warning you with peace and love - no more autographs! :rolling-smiley:

I'm glad I was sitting down when I read that last part :) because while I like the remake of TCM, I don't think it holds a candle to the original. I'm in the minority but I hate the Dawn remake.

I'm in the minority but I hate the original "Chainsaw"!

I do like the original "Dawn" but I think the remake is better - one of the few good things Zack Snyder has done!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, I think that when we love a film we don't really want to see it remade. I do think there are some films that just should not be remade because the director is so much a part of why the film is what it is. If somebody started remaking Hitchcock or Kubrick films (and we do know there is a remake of The Birds in the pipeline and The Shining was remade as a TV movie because King so despised Kubrick's film) you are going to lose quite a bit in the new version because the directors of these films are so much a part of why the films were wonderful to begin with. Gus Van Sant took a stab (literally, ha!) at remaking Psycho and while he is a talented filmmaker that did not go so well.

Genre pictures, particularly monster films, seem to be films that traditionally get remade a lot. I mean lots of Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, and Mummy pictures...new Mummy film with Tom Cruise coming soon in fact...and I feel like I accept the fact that these types of films will be done again and again to appeal to different generations. I think it would be odd to see remakes of The Godfather or Apocalypse Now though and I don't want to.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
How about the reboots? The Toby McGuire Spider-Man movies were good, but did they really need to be re-made 5 minutes later? Also if I see the death of Batman's parents portrayed one more time I'm going to spend the rest of the movie in the bathroom!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think that when we love a film we don't really want to see it remade...

Genre pictures, particularly monster films, seem to be films that traditionally get remade a lot. I mean lots of Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, and Mummy pictures...new Mummy film with Tom Cruise coming soon in fact...and I feel like I accept the fact that these types of films will be done again and again to appeal to different generations.
I'm a huge horror movie fan and there's been so many sequels (many of which are even worse than remakes) or remakes or reboots or ripoffs for basically my entire life that I don't even care any more. If a sequel or remake is good, that's swell and if it sucks, I basically ignore it.

I will say that I am hopeful for the newly announced Halloween remake since John Carpenter vouched for it and seems interested enough to consider doing music for it (something he hasn't done since 1982). Plus, I like the idea of this one being more in line with and picking up after Halloween II and I'm wondering what guys mainly known for comedy will bring to the table. Worst case scenario, it'll still have to be better than Halloween 5 or 8 or Rob Zombie's second movie.

And based on the trailer for The Mummy, I'm guessing those new Universal monster movies are basically actioners with a monster as a villain rather than the horror movies of the 1930's and 40's.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And based on the trailer for The Mummy, I'm guessing those new Universal monster movies are basically actioners with a monster as a villain rather than the horror movies of the 1930's and 40's.
I've not seen the trailer for the new film, but you've essentially described almost *all* of the newer rebooted film series. One of the reasons I dislike the new Star Trek is they are nothing but rather generic action films with familiar character names dropped in so people think they're related to the original films/TV series.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

The American remake of The Vanishing was absolutely putrid, which was baffling since it was made by the same director. I'm not sure if it was the director or the studio that dumbed it down and gave it a horseshit happy ending.

The Cohen Bros True Grit is my favorite Western. It's closer to the book than the John Wayne version, which is probably in higher esteem if you're a John Wayne fan.

I can't comment on The Thing and The Fly since I've never seen the originals, but the remakes are horror classics on their own.

Let us not forget the remake of PSYCHO. Truly the most idiotic and brain-dead lunacy in re-making one of the all time classical films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks