What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Please don't do that! Sequels and Remakes you did not see coming... (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It seems like there's two routes to remake Road House- they either go the 21 Jump Street way and embrace the ridiculousness of the original and make the movie a comedy or they drop the corny 80's crap and try to make a more serious action movie. With Limen and Gyllenhaal, I'd think they're going to try to do a serious action movie.

OR maybe both? It could be more serious action, yet still w/ much darker, ironic humor spin/flavor perhaps? :lol:

_Man_

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It seems like there's two routes to remake Road House- they either go the 21 Jump Street way and embrace the ridiculousness of the original and make the movie a comedy or they drop the corny 80's crap and try to make a more serious action movie. With Limen and Gyllenhaal, I'd think they're going to try to do a serious action movie.

I have to admit I was sort of stunned when I saw this was getting a remake. Was the first film popular and of the people that did like it, didn't they like it for the cheese? I always thought that was what was appealing about the picture was that it was so goofy/dumb that it was fun. I saw it once and thought it was a pretty bad film but saw that there was a lot of potential for people to get some laughs out of it and find it entertaining for that reason.

If they make a serious version of the picture, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the original? I honestly am trying to understand why Jake and Doug would want to do this picture. I suppose since Gyllenhaal knew Swayze maybe he is paying tribute to him here, but honestly, I think a better tribute would be to have let Swayze's performance stand.

I guess I would also wonder who the audience for this picture is? People who saw the first picture? People that like bad movies? This one just is a real headscratcher for me.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
OR maybe both? It could be more serious action, yet still w/ much darker, ironic humor spin/flavor perhaps? :lol:

_Man_

They must have a concept going in to this. I mean, I'd like to know how they arrived at remaking this. It's not like it was a franchise, nor does it seem like something that would end up one this time. It just seems a sort of bad idea that probably won't have much appeal to today's audience. What do I know though, watch this thing win best picture and become the biggest thing since Star Wars.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If they make a serious version of the picture, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the original?
You could argue that since it's a bad movie, that makes it a solid choice to remake into a hopefully good movie. I'd imagine that any ironic or unironic fans of the original probably won't care for it but if you make a good action movie using the basics of the original, the rest of the audience might embrace it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Of course there have long been rumors that they will make another Police Academy sequel or reboot the franchise. If they do the reboot thing, perhaps Gyllenhaal would take on the Gute's role.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Y'all, guess I can maybe ask Jake (w/ all the straight-face irony I can muster) why this remake and not Police Academy the next time I might possibly bump into him in a "casual" setting... ;):laugh::laugh::laugh:

_Man_

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Dr. Strangelove 2: Even Stranger

Mike Myers as Dr. Strangelove

Mike Myers as President Merkin Muffley

Mike Myers as Group Captain Lionel Mandrake

Viggo Mortensen as Gen. Buck Turgidson

Rory Kinnear as Russian Ambassador Alexi de Sadesky

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks