What's new

players (1 Viewer)

I was wondering if most people buy players that are code free from the start, or do you buy a player and then send it to be modified(where)? I was considering a Pioneer 47ai, or 59avi from World Gift Center online. I believe they are out of Chicago. This doesn't have a built in television converter you have to purchase it seperately. What are players that you have, or have had experience with?
Does Denon have multiregional players? Any player info that you have would be welcomed!

Thanks,
rynopr

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Yes I have a Denon that the dealer made regionfree before my purchase, although it cost me around $40 for that service. The model is DVD-2900, but I´m not sure that´s the model name in the US. It works perfect with all regions I have tried, R0,1,2,3,4,5.

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,
I purchased a Philips 727 and used a remote hack and it works great! It has a built in PAL NTSC converter. I was amazed at the amount of players available that have very easy remote hacks to make them multi-regional. I never guessed I would go to Target and buy an $80 player that I could play movies from any region PAL or NTSC. The player I bought was about $120 at a site selling Multi-regional players. I am glad I didn't pay an extra $40 for them to hit a few buttons on the remote! There are a few websites that list players and hacks. Just do a google search, or maybe someone else knows the URL?

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Well, it´s not that easy. To get a regionfree Denon you need som kind of firmware/flash disc that you need to play to get the regionfix. Some cheaper players can be made regionfree with the remote. My player costs around $1500.

Richard Q

Auditioning
I bought a JVC XV-S500 a couple of years ago that was modified by the dealer and has a built-in PAL converter. Looks and plays great. I paid $240.

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
It is that easy if you want a cheap $80 multi-region player. There are a lot of remote hacks for the cheap players. For me, this is not my main DVD player, so I was willing to sacrifice for right now. I do hope to get a much better multi-region player in the future. The Philips is a cheap way to have a multi-region player right now. I am not sure exactly what Ryan is looking for, so just thought I would throw that option out there.

I am leaning toward a high end player. I was set on the Pioneer Elite 59avi. I guess one of the reason was that I could more easily find it available in the states region free moded. I don't want to have to buy a special adapter to plug in a model from overseas. I have never come across a moded denon 2900, or 5900. I am not going to spend less than $1000 for a player.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I don´t think it will be problem to get your Denon player region free. You can download the fix legaly from the internet if you like, but there is always a risk that something goes wrong if you try to do it yourself. I thought it was worth $40 to already have it fixed when I got it.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
The firmware to make the 2900 region free is readily available on the net.

JVC makes good PAL converting players that can be made region free for a few bucks. Same with the Pioneer 563.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet but the best region free player you can buy in North America, is the Toshiba SD-4900. All you have to do is download a file, properly burn it, do a one time insert of the CDR in the player and select "0" on the remote and it will play any region. It also has a PAL converter. I'm so impressed with this player that I got a second one. It also plays all my VCD's and SVCD's. (There is a hack for SVCD too since it's turned off when you buy it).

Because it's now discontinued and the price being $70 US or lower, these players are going fast!

Jeff

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
High end player try www.220-electronics.com located in state of IL. I bought my JVC XVS500BK already hard wired for manual 'not' automatic to play RCE, a future proof way to play any disc as long as it's red laser.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
What Jeff said. It also works with the SD 3900. Both players have been given rave reviews in HT magazines, usually being compared to $600 players. NTSC>PAL conversion is outstanding. I own the 3900 and couldn't be happier. Wonderful player, easy to make region free on your own, and a at a price that can't be beat. If you're paying more for a region free player you almost have to be crazy, or after a certain feature(like x/y scaling) that most players don't have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks