What's new

Player for all audio formats? HDCD, SACD, DVD-A (1 Viewer)

NoahD

Auditioning
Actually, all I really want is a 2-channel performer. Do not need video. I'm thinking about getting Parasounds Zamp and Zpre, so I'd like to find a player with good onboard DAC's. I haven't shopped for a while or kept up on the advance of electronics.

Are there players out there that do everything...and don't hit the pocket too hard? I'm hoping near or below the $200 mark. Wishful?

Your suggestions greatly appreciated.

-Noah

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Pioneer has one for around $150, but the stink about it so far is the crossover is set way high, like 200hz or something like that. Sounds like the best bet is to add an Outlaw ICBM with it, which would add another $250 to the price, but it will give you true bass management. So, you are looking at about $400, sorry. Will you have a sub?

NoahD

Auditioning
Blaine-

Do you know anything about the DACs in the Pioneer? Model #?

Poor DACs can sound (to me anyway) 'brittle' or 'edgy' which I think is most noticable on solo acoustic instrument (i.e. what I listen to). So I'm looking more for quality than for features.

I'm not concerned about the crossover. This will be a small, low wattage office system. For mostly Jazz or Classical.

gregD

Second Unit
The player in question is the Pioneer DV-563A... I've got one, and to me there's no problem with 'brittle' or 'edgy' sound... the manual states 24/192 DACs, but no manufacturer... website: http://makeashorterlink.com/?N22E12DB7

Do a search for this player on this forum; it's been a popular topic... maybe someone has identified the DACs by now.

I think Pioneer delivers good redbook playback... I've bought 3 units over the past 4-5 years (an LD/DVD/CD and a CD-R in addition to the 563 universal), and would vouch for them.

But...

Given your stated preferences (2-channel) and associated gear, you sound like a fairly critical listener for whom the Pioneer might not deliver... $200 won't get you topnotch DACs... and players that decode HDCD are rare (the 563 does not do HDCD) and start at $900 (HDCD's time has almost passed anyway)... if you do fall into that 'critical listener' category, I might suggest that you forget the new formats for now and go for a dedicated CD player... maybe a used or refurbished one, in the hopes of better quality playback... have a look at Audiogon.

Happy hunting.

NoahD

Auditioning
GregD-

Thanks for the info, and the endorsement. I'll check it out. It sounds like a great compromise. It sounds like the best for the money. I can't be too critical at the office! ;-)
And your point about HDCD is spot on. Too bad, HDCD's a good format.

Thanks

Mike Co

Agent
I just plunked down $150 for the Pioneer last weekend, and heard or read somewhere that the converters are Burr Brown's (obviously basic, and maybe on only 3 front channels) but the sound is very good on all audio with one big caveat, the 200Hz x-over is way too high so there is a significant hole in the bass, though true sub-bass is OK--this only applies to HiDef audio through the analog outs. I will probably plunk another $250 for the ICBM so that the LF spectrum is equal to digital sources.
I will continue to search for an alternative though for at least a few weeks. Of course by then some of the new universal's may be out (Yamaha, etc).
Oh yeah! 2 ch analog outs: no bass problem, only applies to multi channel.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Mike,

Take it back! For another $50-75 you can order a Denon DVD-2200 ($150 for the pioneer and $250 for the ICBM = $400). I've seen the Denon for $450-475, it is set at 80htz. That is also one less set of cables you will have to buy since you wouldn't have the ICBM in this setup.

Just my 2 cents. I hope to get a player in a couple months, and the DVD-2200 will be the one I get.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I just went to yahoo.com. picked shopping, and typed in Denon DVD-2200, and there were several listed for under $500. I'm not sure warranty wise what you get with these places because I'm not familiar with Denon's policy. But there were several places, also not sure what shipping would be either.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I figured they were probably just like Marantz. I guess they are made at the same plant! Looks like all the authorized online dealers sell it for $599. Deciding to go with the authorized dealer and the warranty is like gabling in a way, chances are you won't have any problems, but then you never know. For what it's worth I decided with my Marantz stereo to go with an authorized dealer, I could have gotten it about $150 cheaper buying it online at an unauthorized dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks