What's new

Plasma Floor Stand: Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Somun

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Medley
Hello all,

I currently have my 50" Panasonic plasma on a table, but I would like to get some sort of floor stand, preferably with a shelf of some sort to support the center channel speaker. I am unable to wall mount the unit (location, landlord, etc).

After searching around online, I have found it hard to tell how stable each unit might be (I have a toddler in the house), so I was hoping to get some suggestions.

Thanks,

Somun

starrin

Auditioning
Real Name
Roy
"How stable" is pretty much a subjective judgment. Suggest you investigate screwing/bolting the TV to the stand. My LCD had a hole in the base for that purpose. Another alternative a strap from the back of the TV to the base, and/or to the wall. My LCD also had a provision for this and included a strap. But even without that, it would be easy to rig a thin wire strap from the back of the TV to the wall, which would do the job and still be nearly invisible

Somun

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Medley
Instead of focusing on how stable a given unit might be, are there any general suggestions for floor stands?

Somun

thewolfe

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Husk

I saw your post and had been looking for the same thing - actually I stumbled across your post during a search for Panasonic, 50", and tv stand... heh.

After a lot of searching I thought I'd let you know my findings.

I really like the Bush series of furniture. I'm a big fan of tv stand and separate audio rack. Bush has a lot of stands, but this set I really like:

Bush Universal Entertainment Center

Now, I have a center channel as well and don't like the idea of wall mounting or using an Omni mount above the tv. Just scares me. The problem I found with the Bush stand was that the top shelf (the larger of the two) is only 6.7" and I need 7" clearance for my speaker. So I kept looking and found another furniture company that rocks.

The following fit everything I need in a tv stand (8" bottom shelf) and audio rack (small and large). Have to admit I like the coffee table as well:

Sanus Systems: Online Source for TV Mounts, AV Furniture, Speaker Stands, Home Theater Furniture, & more

Finally, if nothing above fits your needs, I found most of these examples from:

TV Stands

Great site that allows you to really get specific about your individual requirements.

Hope this rambling of a post is helpful to you, or anyone else who might stumble upon it from a Google search.

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
Not sure where you're located but believe it or not, Walmart has some great stands in stock. I purchased a stand for my 50" Vizio plasma last year at the Walmart in Indio, CA. It has two black glass shelves so I put the plasma on the top and my HD player, Blue RAY player, and my Direct TV HD receiver on the bottom shelf. It is very stable and still looks like new. Price at that time was about $199.00. They have quite a few TVB stands listed on their website. Really depends on how much you want to spend and what type of furniture you are look for.

Jamezuva

Auditioning
Real Name
James
So I'm interested in getting the Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma and I'm completely new to the hdtv scene. My main concern living in southern California is earthquakes so I'm wondering what the most stable solution would be, whether getting a entertainment center with built-in mount vs. using the included tv stand and having it sit on a standard entertainment center surface. I'd like to avoid wall mounting as I live in an apt. Are there devices to hook up a stand to make it more stable and less likely to topple over? My main concern with a built-in mount is that I won't be able to access the inputs/outputs on the backside very easily and since I live alone, it would obviously be hard for me to take the tv off the mount. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks