What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For those who have already seen it:

When the hell was Barbossa supposed to have had what seemed to be from his monologue a long, meaningful relationship with a woman who died, resulting in the girl? Presumably she is around the same age as Will and Elizabeth's son, Henry, but that doesn't really follow from the depiction of Barbossa we've seen in the previous films. If he had her prior to the first film, then she would be way older than Henry, which would make their romance creepy. If he had her somewhere in the timeline of the sequels, then they did a really poor job retconning that into his character's life.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I confess I hadn't thought about that at all, but I would guess it would have to be between At World's End and On Stranger Tides. I don't remember where the character was left at the end of At World's End, so I'm not sure if that actually does work. The timeline doesn't quite work comfortably... At World's End was made in what, 2007? So Henry should be 10. If we take it that all three of the original films took place at the same time, then that puts his birth a few years earlier, so maybe he's 14. But he appears to be in his twenties, so there's obviously some kind of time jump in there somewhere. And yet, Johnny Depp doesn't look any more than the five or six years older between On Stranger Tides and Dead Men (the amount of time in productions), so Depp should have been aged to make it fit. It's best not to think too much about it!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
See, I didn't like that Barbossa had a daughter. I'm getting really tired of all these "small world" meetings that happen in movies. I would rather have seen her as just some random girl. How old is Henry at the post credit scene in World's End? 10 maybe? Which means Barbossa had to have had Carina maybe a couple years after World's End (and before the post credits scene). At this time he's the captain of the Black Pearl.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Henry was in World's End? I thought he was new for this film. Wow, the only constant for me and this series is that none of them make much of a lasting impression.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Henry was in World's End?

Sort of, although it's perfectly reasonable for you to have forgotten this, if you even saw it. Will and Elizabeth's son (who retroactively becomes Henry, but was unnamed at that time) appeared briefly in the post-credits scene of At World's End a a 10-year-old, in a non-speaking role. He was not played by the same actor as in the new film. And, anybody who didn't watch through the long credits scroll wouldn't know this anyway.

Bob:
I knew instantly as soon as she talked about her absent father that it would be someone we already knew. I don't much mind that, although I see your point. I just think that making it Barbossa was a cheap choice because it doesn't line up with the chronology of the existing films. Also, I personally found it very difficult to be emotionally moved by Barbossa's death, considering that he already died once when Jack killed him in the first movie, and was brought back to life...and yet, this time, when he is not being portrayed as the villain of the piece, and is supposed to have made a noble sacrifice, nobody thinks about the possibility that they could go bring him back again. Jack, also, died once already and the whole first hour of At World's End was about bringing him back, so, you know, he should remember that experience, too. And since when did Jack and Barbossa become BFFs like Jack says at the wedding? I guess that whole part where Jack killed him in the first movie for committing mutiny against him doesn't count now?

The first movie, especially, was so well-written that it is a damn shame to see the narrative fall by the wayside in these followups in favor of whatever happens to be convenient for the plotting moment-to-moment.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just saw it in IMAX 3D and was pretty underwhelmed by all of it. Film, 3D, cinematography etc. Sooooo many dark scenes. Hard to understand many lines too.

Didn't hate it but didn't love it either. It was OK. I would rank it fourth of the five films.

I will buy the 3D version if available though.
This pretty much sums up my opinion, except for buying the blu, won't do that. We saw it yesterday and I really wish they'd deep six the franchise. I probably wouldn't have bothered with this one except my wife has a thing for Johnny Depp.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
More thoughts about the At World's End post-credit scene:
I don't know if it was true, but I thought Verbinski or Bruckheimer said at some point back then, that the intent with this scene was if the loved one of the Captain of the Flying Dutchman stays faithful for the first 10 years, that the curse is broken and he is relieved of his duties and can go back to his life. I always liked that thought, but with this movie it throws that out the window, and Will's return in the post-credit scene was just his once-in-10-years allowance on land.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Tommy, I remember reading the exact same thing as you mentioned. However, the booklet in the At World's End Blu-ray had an FAQ about the film which contradicted this, too, so I think it is clear that:

a) Different people involved with the film were saying different things and were not on the same page;
b) Disney simply chose to throw that out in order to have a plot for another movie;
c) and, no film should ever be complicated enough to require an insert in the Blu-ray to explain it to audiences.

Of course, it's also possible to view the first three films as a trilogy unto themselves and ignore the existence of this one, in which case it can be whatever you want it to be. I think that, while the third film is not great, it does take some pretty big swings and is admirable for that, which is more than I can say for the fourth or fifth entries. They should've quit with the movie that had the word End in the title.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It now appears that Disney will be releasing Dead Men Tell No Tales on 4K UHD along with Guardians Of The Galaxy 2. It took awhile but appears Disney is joining other studios in releasing 4K UHD BD titles. For myself this is a must buy and I will pick up the other films once they hit 4K UHD BD!

80e2e28c9b3a947d8453df1ab29ef563_XL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks