What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017) (2 Viewers)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yeah, I saw it today and, based on the reviews, I was expecting a much worse movie. It's a fun & the rare non-bloated or overlong summer movie and I think most people who liked the best POTC movies will enjoy this one too.

Also glad to hear it is "non-bloated," since the second and third Pirates movies were exercises in cinematic bloat. Three hours for Pirates 3! Two and a half for Pirates 2! Those run times (and Penelope Cruz) kept me away from Pirates 4.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I'm mixed about seeing this. On one hand, I really didn't hate any of the films in this franchise. I'd probably like this one too, but I can't help thinking that going to see this just encourages them to make another and another, instead of trying to do something new.

The sad thing is that in this age of reboots, if this movie tanks, they'll just look to reboot in a few years anyways....

You're darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Also glad to hear it is "non-bloated," since the second and third Pirates movies were exercises in cinematic bloat. Three hours for Pirates 3! Two and a half for Pirates 2! Those run times (and Penelope Cruz) kept me away from Pirates 4.

I found this one flowed the best of the five, and certainly the best since the first one. I feel like it still had a couple too many tangents, and scenes where we're spending time with side characters that barely even have names (like when we get extra business with some of the crew members that doesn't really seem to do anything except pad the running time), but it's less all over the place than the previous installments.

I rewatched Pirates 4 earlier this week, and I'm still not a big fan. Though it's about 2 hours and 17 minutes (probably ten minutes less minus end credits), it just feels inert for huge stretches of its running time. There's a little less of that here. It's not that Pirates 5 is too long; it's that there are parts of its running time that don't seem to have anything to do with anything else. All of the Pirates movies are guilty of this, and 5 is by far from the worst offender. In rewatching the 4th film, there are so many times where I just don't really know what's going on. I don't know what the character motivation is or why anyone is doing anything. With Pirates 5, from the very start of the film, I immediately understand what the new male protagonist wants. (Unfortunately, the goals of the new female protagonist are less fleshed out.) When we first encounter Jack Sparrow in 5, I understand pretty quickly where he is in his life and how things are going for him. As the story progresses, I understand what Sparrow wants to accomplish by helping the new protagonists. I also understand what the villain is trying to accomplish. I'm not sure that I can say the same for most of the other installments. This is narratively far less confused than some of the other films.

I'd still love to see them take a crack at a 90-105 minute Pirates story that's quick, snappy and fun from start to finish and that embraces being a b-movie. Pirates 5 does this somewhat, and it helps. Pirates 4 is hamstrung by seemingly everyone involved acting as if they were making Citizen Kane instead of just having fun with it. (And the same could be said for Pirates 1-3 as well.)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Josh, as much as I love this franchise, this is my biggest complaint about all the movies. My favorite is Pirates 2. Pirates 3 (my least favorite) was all over the place and was hard to follow. Looking forward to seeing this probably Tues. night.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just got back...I liked it alot. Felt like fun again.

There's some flaws..to me Javiar Bardam's character was ok. But too much was given away in the trailer. I found myself getting a little bored with his role to be honest. BUT thats about it.

The finale under water sequence lost of my attention in terms of what was going on..

Pros: I found the characters to have chemistry and really liked the young actors. Rush was really good. I was expecting Depp to have mailed it in based on reviews but he was great. And this time most of the funny moments were indeed funny. Our audience was rolling a few times.

The score was really good in a pirates kind of way.

Not great but pretty dang good.

1. Curse of the Black Pearl.
2. Dead Mens Chest (almost a tie for 1)
3. Dead Men Tell No Tales

The rest .

Its a fun movie. Worth seeing.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just saw it in IMAX 3D and was pretty underwhelmed by all of it. Film, 3D, cinematography etc. Sooooo many dark scenes. Hard to understand many lines too.

Didn't hate it but didn't love it either. It was OK. I would rank it fourth of the five films.

I will buy the 3D version if available though.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw I disagree with that 3D review above. I thought it was as one of the weakest IMAX 3D presentations I've seen. Average depth,no pop out and too many dark scenes not conducive to 3D.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' restores some of the magic we felt for the original that was subsequently missing in the later sequels. It's a good time at the movies.

The Booth Bijou gives 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' 4 out of 5 stars. Go see it if swashbuckling mindless fun is your cup of tea.

Mark

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Lets hope Disney joins the 4K UHD club soon. But they were slow to DVD and to BD.

Since Disney was part of the 4K UHD group it still makes no sense to me why they are not releasing titles on 4K UHD BD! They where one of the supporters and part of the group that help decide what the format would look like and what the specs and security would be. Why be involved then not actually support what you where involved with?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I enjoyed it, mostly for the occasional joke and sometimes interesting action set pieces, but it's really a rather dumb movie. If you are no longer on board with this series there's little chance of being brought back in with this one. If you do, however, generally like the series, it's okay. As for those aforementioned action set pieces, the guillotine bit is a standout. 6/10

Series ranking:

1. The Curse of the Black Pearl - 9/10
2. Dead Man's Chest - 7/10
3. On Stranger Tides - 7/10
4. At World's End - 6/10
5. Dead Men Tell No Tales - 6/10

---

Someone mentioned the box office above and the possibility of the movie tanking. No chance. It's already over $300m WW. This is on its way to making $1b+ WW, so even if the split is 20/80 US/INT the chances of another down the road is quite high.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought the film was a little bit lifeless. It didn't feel like it really picked up until the ship launching scene. Depp did a passable job as Sparrow, but I couldn't help but think he was a bit bored with the character. The same went for Rush's Barbossa character.

When he died I wasn't sure if his smile was due to him thinking he'd never have to be in another Pirates film or because of the script

The bank robbery scene felt it was over long as well and constantly calling her a witch got old, especially since they never really establish why she is being called that.

I also thought the violence in the film was a little too real feeling as well.

I think this is my least favorite of these films.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Btw I disagree with that 3D review above. I thought it was as one of the weakest IMAX 3D presentations I've seen. Average depth,no pop out and too many dark scenes not conducive to 3D.

Yeah, I also thought the 3D added little to the presentation. It wasn't a bad version to watch, but I didn't think the 3D made the film more enjoyable or immersive...

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I also saw it in 3D and didn't felt like 3D. It kind of felt I'm watching a 2D movie.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Tino, your thoughts are identical to mine. Underwhelmed by the 3D and way too many dark scenes. I'll have to see it again before I make a final verdict (which probably won't be until Blu comes out). As it stands now, it sits as my least favorite. Didn't hate it but didn't love it either. I'm glad it's doing well at the box office, I'm always up for the next installment. If they do make another one I hope I like it more. I only have one request, please don't kill off Jack Sparrow. Can I have at least 1 franchise that doesn't kill off it's most popular character? If they don't make another this had a fitting end to the franchise.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I loved the new movie and I will be owning it once it comes out! I already own the previous 4 on 1080p blu-ray!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks