What's new

Pioneer vsx-81 and Focal ChorusV setup (1 Viewer)

luth2000

Auditioning
Real Name
Luther Carpenter
I have a current ht setup that is ok, but lacks the decent audio performance I demand. I have an Onkyo 503 receiver, and a Harmon Kardon 5.1 system HKTS 14. I have a Panasoniq 42"EDTV.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a set of Focal Chorus Vs, going to demo them in the next few days. Looking at the 726 or 716 floor standing models, and buying the center channel that goes with that pair, keeping the sub from the HK set, and the rear surround speakers.

My current onkyo drives 75 watts per channel, so I'm not sure it's up to driving those Focals, and I really want extensive eq control of my new system.

So after studying receiver data and budgets, I'm looking at the Pioneer vsx 81, which would give me 110 watts per channel, and the 9 band eq, etc.

So a few questions:
1) does this pairing sound good to you guys?
2) the vsx 82 is a few hundred more - for my setup should i be seriously considering it vs the 81?
3) I'm a bit new to all the HDMI up converting lingo etc. Does my edtv limit me in a way that I don't need certain features from these receivers? BTW, I'm perfectly happy with the edtv....
4) Any chance I could drive those focals with 75 pre channel? andy chance of damaging them with the lower wattage?

So my primary goal is to end up with quite excellent audio, most of which will be coming from my ipod. I realize the file limitations of ipods, but my ipod sounds awesome in my car stereo (Focal system), so I'm hoping to achieve as good or better in my living room. Of course the better HT sound will be a huge bonus.

Thanks for all help - this forum seems like a great source of knowledge. I've read quite a bit here already!

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Sorry we couldn't be more help Luther. I have no personal experience with the speakers in question to provide you with a useful opinion on the combination you are enquireing about.

However, from personal experience, I'm not a huge fan of the "Pioneer" sound, especially in the lower end gear but the Elite line doesn't do much for me either.

Since audio seems to be your primary focus but you want HT capabilities, I'd look into trying to audition a NAD or H/K reciever as well.

Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks