What's new

PIONEER VSX-24TX and it Elite Family- are they good? (1 Viewer)

Anyone,
What is the default setting for "Bass Peak Level". Somehow I changed this setting, and I was getting a very low level of output to the subwoofer. I changed it to +12 and it seems to sound OK now. But what should it be set to?
Fred

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
Ok, this may come as a shock to all but..... I'VE MADE UP MY MIND!!!! :) :) :)
I'm better now. Anyway, I think I'll be ordering the 26 unless my wife gives in and lets me spend the extra money for the 27. I really don't care at this point i just want one. :)

Mark Nelson

Agent
Fred
The bass peak level should be set with the main volume control. But first, in the "Channel Level" mode, set the sub to zero reference level and, using the test tone, change the volume on the sub itself until you achieve a volume balance with your other speakers. This will set a receiver sub reference of zero for the system balance and let you make future minor adjustments to bass level with the receiver starting from a zero reference.
Proceed to the "Bass Peak Level Manager" mode and start the test tone by choosing "start level". Now turn the MAIN RECEIVER VOLUME CONTROL up slowly until the bass test tone causes the subwoofer to distort or the room to rattle(hopefully the room will give up first). Then back off just slightly on the MAIN RECEIVER VOLUME CONTROL until the sub distortion or room rattle goes away. Now hit the "enter" key on your remote. This establishes the maximum amount of bass your system will produce regardless of the how much you turn up the volume when watching movies or listening to music.
Hope this helps.
MTN

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Sorry Guys!
Although I'm almost 100% free from my illness, I have tons of studio and teaching work to catch up, hopefully in a couple of days I can get back on-line.
David Susilo

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Question for Elite receiver owners: Do these receiver do s-video as well as composite video switching? Can I run composite outputs from my DBS receiver and my VCR to the receiver, then have 1 composite output to my tv?
------------------
There is no spoon...

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Fred-
Heck, I don't know. HT is pretty new to me. I'm getting ready to replace a 6 year old JVC Pro-Logic fosil. If this can be done w/ any receiver then what's the story w/ s-video/composite/component switching? It's not every day I can convince the wife to let me spend $1,000 on a piece of electronic equipment and I want to make sure I don't make the wrong purchase decision
------------------
There is no spoon...

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I have received several letters from people both inside and outside this thread about the Elite capability and the reason I purchased the 24TX. Here are some of the excerpts
1. Detecting digital signal: is to detect whether the signal is DPL (PCM) or DD; the answer is yes. Regardless of the source, the 24, 26, 27, and 29 will detect automatically whether the digital signal is DPL/DD/DTS.
2. About its universal remote capability: I have
Pioneer PDR-05 CD Recorder,
Denon DN-600F Pro CD Player,
Sony S500D DVD Player,
JVC 7500U S-VHS,
Sony 779HF VHS,
Pioneer CLD-604 LD Player.
Not 100% of the original remote functions are replicated on the Pioneer's universal remote, but enough for daily usage so I don't need to use the original remotes.
4. The difference of sound quality between the Denon 3300 and the Pioneer 24TX: I can't tell a great difference between the two while listening to movie soundtracks, but the Pioneer has a slight edge in midrange reproduction for Jazz and Acapella music.
I happen to have heard Take6 performed live without any amplification in a very small room performing the same song from one of their album which I also own, and to my memory, Pioneer's amp reproduce their recording closer to their original voice than the Denon. Also it depends on the speakers you use. I recently upgraded my YSM-2 to Yorkville YSM-1 (for specs, visit http://www.yorkville.com/studio.htm#YSM-1

Pierce Lee

Auditioning
Any idea what are the corresponding model numbers in ASIA? I haven't seen any of the Elite line (DVD player and receiver/amp) here.
I'm especially interested on the 24TX and any of the higher models that has AC-3 RF in.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I don't think Elite line is available in Asian region. One thing for sure though, the 608s and Elite 21s are made in Indonesia.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
It's officially dead! after about 400 posts.
I'd like to thank everybody on this thread for their input with regards to this matter.
Cheers,
David Susilo
------------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not even sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein
------------------------

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
One final thing before you turn out the light :) I just purchased this unit replacing a Harman Kardon AVR80. This receiver is really awesome! - especially the DD decoding. It seems to surpass the Denon AVD 2000. But unfortunately, I'm thinking about returning it because the DTS decoding seems to leave a little to be desired compared to my Rotel DTS decoder. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? I'd appreciate some input. Is there a difference between internal digital decoding and external decoding?

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I never actually compare the Pioneer DTS with Rotel's, but compared to the Technics DTS and Yamaha DTS encoding, I personally can't hear the difference in sound quality.
David Susilo

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Anyway, thanks tremendously David S. for the enthusiasm you've helped generate for the new Pioneer Elite line. You've helped take alot of money out of the wallet of Denon :) And if this is the last post, thank all of you for your questions and insight.
Lights off?????.....?????.....

David Susilo

Screenwriter
First of all, I want some money from Pioneer.
Secondly, I want a lot of money from Pioneer (I personally sold about 5 24TX, 1 21, and 1 27TX. That's on top of the 21 and the 24TX I bought for myself.)
Jokes aside, I need to, very quickly, decide whether to toss out my Sony S500D and buy Pioneer 525. Or just stick with the Sony? I know that this question have been raised by another member of this group, I know that the 525 is worth buying, but what I don't know is it worth replacing my Sony 500D.
DTS aside, I'm not sure whether I should get this unit and DTS doesn't mean much to me.
And to make it related to the 24TX, I'd also like to know how does the remote translate to the 24TX remote. The Sony 500D translate badly to the 24TX remote.
Thank you.

Mark Nelson

Agent
David S
I use my VSX27TX with a DV-05 and the receiver remote seems to perform most DVD functions quite well. Much better than my old VSX-07TX did. The up, down, right, left and enter keys are a refreshing improvement when navigating through DVD special menues. As you know some DVD's require an "enter" command instead of the "play" command to start the movie. This key didn't exist on previous Elite receiver remotes. While this doesn't relate directly to your question, I was hoping it had some relevence as the Pioneer DVD remote commands are very similar.
MTN

David,
I was surprised to see the thread pop up again. I am also curious about your comment that the 24TX doesn't handle the Sony 500 well. While I had a Sony 530 in hand, I was able to program anything I needed on the 24TX remote to control it. I'm now test driving a Panasonic 120 and am easily contolling it with the 24TX remote (thankfully so since the 120 remote is quite pitiful).
But on to your question regarding the Pioneer 525: if you don't care about DTS, why would you want to trade away the Sony? From what I have seen from many posts the 500 is a very good player. I would want to know how the 525 compared in anamorphic conversion, scanning, and menu navigation. The Sony 530 did all of these very well, in my opinion. The Panasonic 120 has even better scanning, but the anamorphic conversion is not to my liking. Perhaps someone with 525 experience could comment on these.
Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks