What's new

Pioneer VSX-1020 upgrade? (1 Viewer)

vjkoval

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Kovalchick
My secondary HT receiver HK AVR 500 is dying and needs to be replaced. My main receiver an Onkyo TX-SR600 works fine and am looking to move to my secondary HT and upgrade my main HT. I have been looking at a TX-SR607 refurb at around $350.00 with shipping. I was all set to make the move, when my brother in-law advised me of a friend at Pioneer. I can get the new VSX-1020, for $373.00. I love my Onkyo ( also have a TX-SV424), but was impressed with the reviews for the VSX-1019. HT is old school, using standard 5.1 speaker set-up, standard DVD to a 32 inch analog TV. Any thoughts?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other.

Both are originally $599 MSRP.

If you don't plan on upgrading to HD (Blu-Ray Player, HDTV, and 7.1 sound) there is no advantage of one over the other.

The Pioneer has a few more bells and whistles (iPhone options and HDMI 1.4 3D compatibility) but, as far as I'm concerned, a big whoop-te-doo. The Onkyo, on the other hand, probably has a better video processing chip (only a factor if you go HDTV) and a better equalization processor (Audessey vs pioneers in house MCACC).

The questions is, how much does $23 mean to you? A used Onkyo or a new Pioneer?

You won't go wrong either way but the Onkyo is probably the marginally better receiver.

JB

bigtank

Auditioning
Real Name
grant
I hate to hi-jack the your thread, but i have been looking at the new pioneer as well because i think it has some pretty cool bells and whistles with the ethernet, blue-tooth, and iphone app remote, but my top priority is always sound. I was wondering what you all thought about Audessey vs pioneers MCACC? Is Audessey that much better?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks