What's new

Pioneer ending TV production (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This is a surprise in some ways, but Pioneer appears to have announced that it will cease Plasma TV production.

Bitstream: Breaking News: Pioneer Quits TV Biz

Seeing Pioneer was going to use Panasonic as a supplier for the plasma glass, it looked like Pioneer's 10th generation plasma was still going to happen. But now it looks like it's over.

I might have to see if I can get one of the last Kuro displays this year rather then wait any longer. This is really unfortunate.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
This probably just represents a realization that prices are falling below the threshold where they provide sufficient incentive for quality manufacturers. From here on, televisions will again be commodities, where superior quality and service represent more cost than the prices will likely justify.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
This sucks. I was very much planning for a Pioneer Kuro (or its successor) a few years down the line. I'm in no position to get one now. Ah well. Not the most important thing in life, but it's still annoying.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
According to an update in today's (2/7/09) Wall Street Journal, Pioneer is saying they haven't made any official decision yet, but they're reviewing all options before announcing the mid-year business plan later this month.

I think that's what Woodward and Bernstein used to call a "non-denial denial".

Real Name
Mark B-E
Hello Guys,

Rumour's, speculation, news reports, ya' di' ya' di' yarrrrr!

All the manufacturers are down sizing....guys, but they are still producing the goods...all be it' at reduced output......

what about the news with a Japanese manufacturer who produces Projectors ''lets say'' D-ILA
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
they were in heavy losses and have been for years.....and guess what? they are still producing equipment.

Their projectors ar amongst the best in the business and are in great demand

Try reading ''HOME CINEMA CHOICE APRIL 2009''

Under Features 24 HCC gets exclusive accessto Pioneer's R&D lab in Japan to learn about the future of KURO and it's new FUGA Processing tech.

Two page spread.........read this guys and do not worry, PIONEER have product's which are highly respected........throughout the AV industry.

They have invested so much time and effort in there product ''the actions and product speak for themselves here and we all know the benchmark of which they have set from production since the late 1990's to now, they have protected patents that the rest of the industry would die for........stay calm!.. right or wrongly....will it?.... or won't it,.... will they or won't they?

They may sell their patents to re-coupe losses,......who knows Panasonic, or say Samsung, as long as the picture quality and reliability is there....PICTURE QUALITY WOULD BE THE 1ST PRIORITY, THEN SOUND.........then fare play

Read this article and keep the faith.......the product will go on....
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
:emoji_thumbsup: :rolleyes:
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Kindest regards

Mark (UK)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sad news if this happens. I always dreamed of one day owning
a Pioneer Kuro display.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I hope so, but I hear they were saying much the same thing at Lehman Bros. the week before it failed.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Nothing is beyond cancellation in these economic times. And this won't be the first time that a product reaches the status of "commodity" and higher end manufacturers abandon the field. Does anyone remember when there were REAL stereo receivers (hint, Pres. Reagan had not yet finished his first term of office), only to be replaced by lesser quality ones that flooded the market when IC "amps" came along? There have been all sorts of advancements in features and etc. in much of a/v gear--but there has also been the loss of some quality along the way in certain segments.

This phenomenon is not restricted to A/V gear, of course. And there are positive trade offs--a TV with 80% of the performance of a KURO for a quarter of the price (the noticeable difference in quality is NOT "worth it" for the masses, but that initial quality helped drive up the quality of the lower priced versions) means many more people can enjoy decent HD. However, in rough economic times like these, it means some excellent quality will go by the wayside (like the really nice stereo receivers of the late 70s/early 80s--not coincidentally during another economic downturn).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mark- You speak with such optimism as if you might have some inside info.

I certainly have hope this is really a rumor and the story is wrong. I've been reading a thread over at the other forum that discusses audio and video where there is a thread dedicated to this news. One of the posters there is a forum sponsor and his company is an authorized Pioneer dealer. He seems to think the story has credence. He's either in the know of some inside information from his supplier or he's trying to help "boast a few sales of Elite Kuros.

The sentiments there are that the story is true and its doom and gloom. However, I'll be waiting till Monday and will keep an eye out during the week to see if Pioneer makes any official announcements.

Real Name
Mark B-E

Hi there,

The story is true about Pioneer pulling the plug on PLASMA / LCD and FRONT PROJECTION, with production ending at the end of December 2009.

I live in the UK and Pioneer UK have released this on the forums so it's now official........currently plenty of stock, 3 months up front for customers.

Most of us serious TV viewers and Pioneer devotees are.......GUTTED TO SAY THE LEAST......

:eek: :thumbsdown: :crazy:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mark- I have not had time to have a look at the AVS forum today where there is a huge thread on this. Yes, I am sad to hear this is a true story. So we have almost a year then to grab a Pioneer Kuro. :frowning:

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Do folks feel that this is just a reflection of Pioneer's own failure, or rather a smart move on Pioneer's part to get out of the market before the market itself becomes bereft of profit?

Real Name
Mark B-E

Hello Brian,

Have only just read your message on this thread my friend,

It just shows that people have been torn between pricing, affordabilty, lack of information on top quality picture, ect....ect.....to many reasons to list here and sure that all readers can understand the complexities of peoples reasons, curcumstances....many many factors.

The serious enthusiast will always work hard at getting a quality product, but most individuals and families have many other priorities to consider.

Bottom line is what is happening....right now and is understandable.

Panasonic I am sure will take the batten and carry the technology further, they are a trustworthy brand, and that's why Pioneer were going to give their tech to them........''PIONEER TRUST PANASONIC'' so lets wait and see.

The world economy situation is very rocky and I personally think that this down turn will last..........

I genuinely hope that all of yourselves take good care, and stay in work, endure with life and keep up the good work, ''with regards your replies here on the forum''.......great reading.

Thank you to all.

Mark
:emoji_thumbsup:
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

P.S. Enjoy your movies and equipment guys and hang in there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Pioneer may have made some tactical errors.

To add to Mark's well thought post, the kind of market Pioneer was catering to just wasn't big enough. The higher end videophiles who want the best picture possible. Plus some have conjectured that Pioneer's plasma plant just wasn't up to the kind of capacity that Panasonic has built up. They had the ability to build a lot more plasma TVs, had automation and kept costs down. So they could sell at regular consumer friendly prices.

I think Pioneer had a very good thing going, making the best of the best no compromise plasmas. The market just wasn't there partly due to the current market conditions. It's a real shame and I agree with Mark, I hope that Panasonic can carry on with the Kuro or the newer 10G screen technology that Pioneer had been developing. I just wish Panasonic could have it's own higher end line where the industrial design of the TV's were on a par with Elites. Very refined and beautiful TVs!

D-Jingle

Auditioning
Real Name
David Jameson
Fear not, Pioneer's demise will be followed by a very strong panasonic and samsung.

Panasonic was already producing panels with blacks and whites almost as good as Pioneer.

Now samsung has produced this beautiful OLED

Pioneer was breaking the bank in R&D. They couldnt sustain the pace. Pioneer will probably produce better and better plasma's while Samsung will conquor the LCD and OLED industry.

Pioneer was a leader in color quality, but has been falling behind in technology -- internet tv's, oled's, 2-way cable cards, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks