What's new

Pioneer DVL-919 DVD / LD player replacement? (1 Viewer)

AllanP

Agent
Looking for advice on a current (good or great) DVD player (no LD) to replace my vintage Pioneer DVL-919 DVD / LD player. I want the new player to have the same physical connections as the current Pioneer so I don’t have to rewire the whole system. If anyone is familiar with the Pioneer and it’s connections (see accompanying photo) a suggestion for a replacement that can easily be swapped in would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!!
93D045F1-8842-49C3-8A3C-1C16138C0079.png

AllanP

Agent
Which connections are you using? I’m not sure any new players have component or s-video outputs.
I believe that’s what is being used. My system was installed by the equipment supplier but I’m pretty sure it’s using the component / s video connections. No optical or HDMI that is for sure! Am I out of luck? I’m trying to just swap out the old DVD player for a new one without having to revamp / rewire my entire system. I’m also trying to avoid the headache of installing an entirely new system since I can’t get anyone to talk to me or listen to what I want unless I promise to spend $ 150K at a minimum. 🥴

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Assuming then that you’re using component for video and left/right analog for audio. Here’s a new DVD only player that has those connections. I’m actually surprised they still make it.

YANG

Screenwriter
the link you attached... the player is clearly stated as used, not new.
new DVD only players mostly comes with HDMI output, as well as composite video output that matches to the limited connection options on most modern TVs.

AllanP

Agent
Thank you men for your respective inputs. Ideally I need to just chuck everything I have and start anew but it’s apparently easier “thought about” than done. I’m having a real tough time finding ANY AV store or service that will listen to what I want in a system and make recommendations. With a million brands and a multitude of ways to do things, I need guidance and I can’t get it! 🥴

YANG

Screenwriter
... I want the new player to have the same physical connections as the current Pioneer so I don’t have to rewire the whole system...
this part makes me wonder, how are you going to upgrade your visual experience if you upgrade your visual screen but not the visual hardware source? although i understand the hassle on recabling and the cost it may incur...

there are 2 options you can upgrade your visual experience but that would limit on the maximum resolution you can go as the route of the video signal sticks to the initial old cabling.

1. upgrade your player to a bluray player with composite video output if you can get one... since most players out there in the market are not simplified into just HDMI+digital output. hence, the model that you might able to find, could be in the midend price range.

2. look out for some cheap and new DVD only players that offers composite outputs. however, be warned that the video-DAC could be of low quality because of the low price. dont expect the mainstream brands could offer great visual quality thinking that the video-DAC could be better.

either options above, you'll need a composite/component video to HDMI converter at the visual end for upscaling into 720p/1080p visual output, just in case if your TV/projector goes Kaput due to aging, and a change is imminent.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
the link you attached... the player is clearly stated as used, not new.
new DVD only players mostly comes with HDMI output, as well as composite video output that matches to the limited connection options on most modern TVs.

The listing for the Amazon product shows it is new.

Attachments

• 22650A8E-9D26-402C-BF53-D50BBAAFA760.jpeg
    22650A8E-9D26-402C-BF53-D50BBAAFA760.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 55

AllanP

Agent
this part makes me wonder, how are you going to upgrade your visual experience if you upgrade your visual screen but not the visual hardware source? although i understand the hassle on recabling and the cost it may incur...

there are 2 options you can upgrade your visual experience but that would limit on the maximum resolution you can go as the route of the video signal sticks to the initial old cabling.

1. upgrade your player to a bluray player with composite video output if you can get one... since most players out there in the market are not simplified into just HDMI+digital output. hence, the model that you might able to find, could be in the midend price range.

2. look out for some cheap and new DVD only players that offers composite outputs. however, be warned that the video-DAC could be of low quality because of the low price. dont expect the mainstream brands could offer great visual quality thinking that the video-DAC could be better.

either options above, you'll need a composite/component video to HDMI converter at the visual end for upscaling into 720p/1080p visual output, just in case if your TV/projector goes Kaput due to aging, and a change is imminent.
I gotcha. As stated, I’d like to just set up a NEW system for DVD, CD, Vinyl and streaming services such as SiriusXM, etc. with a new TV as well. Problem is getting ANYONE to help me make informed equipment selection and then install and fine tune the components. I want a turnkey event but I’m having no luck getting anyone to either return my calls or show a modicum of interest in what I want to do.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF you replace the entire legacy system, you'd likely simplify the wiring (unless you upgrade to separates and/or get into Atmos instead of an AV receiver w/ no more than say 5.1 surround) and not continue to have to deal w/ a mess of legacy wiring... and of course, get far better AV performance...

IF you just need some advice and guidance, there are HTF members who can probably help. BUT if you actually need someone to install/setup stuff for you, that's another story -- maybe someone could recommend some good, reasonably priced vendor(s) and/or service provider(s) local to you if you let us know where you are... But generally, this hobby works best and stays more affordable if you're reasonably handy w/ that kinda thing and not need (paid) pro services (except perhaps for something like ISF calibration)...

_Man_

AllanP

Agent
IF you replace the entire legacy system, you'd likely simplify the wiring (unless you upgrade to separates and/or get into Atmos instead of an AV receiver w/ no more than say 5.1 surround) and not continue to have to deal w/ a mess of legacy wiring... and of course, get far better AV performance...

IF you just need some advice and guidance, there are HTF members who can probably help. BUT if you actually need someone to install/setup stuff for you, that's another story -- maybe someone could recommend some good, reasonably priced vendor(s) and/or service provider(s) local to you if you let us know where you are... But generally, this hobby works best and stays more affordable if you're reasonably handy w/ that kinda thing and not need (paid) pro services (except perhaps for something like ISF calibration)...

_Man_
Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I know what I’d like a fully new system to do but I definitely need professional help selecting and installing the equipment, wiring, etc. I’m in Staten Island, New York. I called one place in New Jersey with a great reputation for sales and service and they told me they’re “super busy” and never called me back. Another place I called only works Monday thru Friday (like me) and NO weekend availability so we will never connect. There’s way too many components, brands, etc. for me to wade through which is why I need someone with experience that can guide me to really good components that are both reliable, provide killer performance and are aesthetically pleasing, with help to connect everything with appropriate wiring to bring to fruition, my vision of a rockin’ HT setup along with CD and vinyl playback and Internet streaming radio ability as well (and a new big screen TV)! If you or anyone can help me out, it will be greatly appreciated. I have no problem paying someone for their time, expertise and service. Thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks