Pioneer 1015tx and MCACC...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris Huber, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

Current HT:
    TV: Pannasonic 53" HDTV
    DVD: Sony DVP-975
    Reciever: Pioneer VSX-811S
    Mains: JBL S 312 II
    Center: JBL S center II
    Surrounds: JBL E 10
    S-Back: JBL N 24II
    Sub: SVS 20-39PC+
    EQ: Behringer DSP1124P

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my reciever... For MCACC, it displays it's progress on the TV, correct? Currently, I do not pass any video through my reciever and I use optical audio and HDMI video...

For me to see the MCACC progress on screen, I'd just need to hook up component cables from the reciever to the TV? Then when I want to adjust the MCACC, switch the TV to that comp input?

2. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

Correct...That would work.

However...Are you just upgrading for the MCACC? Otherwise, The Pioneer 1015 should be pretty similar to your Pioneer 811...especially since you don't need the video in's and all that good stuff. With my 1015, I haven't decided yet if I prefer the EQ on or off. I'm not sure it's worth buying just for that.

3. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

No, not just for the MCACC, PLIIx is what I want too. Everyone has told me that SQ is better on the 1015 as well...

4. Brian_D

Brian_D Agent

If it's like the 1014, it doesn't send the receiver information via component cables, just fyi. You need only a single composite video from the receiver to the tv. I use the component in/out on the receiver and had to run a seperate composite cable just for receiver information.

5. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

Seperate cable. I kind of wish it would super-impose right over the video that I'm watching so I could make manual fine tuning adjustments while still watching the video, but it doesn't do that.

It doesn't tell a lot about what it is doing when it is going through the process either.. you need to go back to review what settings for volume and equalization it has made, in an after the fact mode. It doesn't throw the values up on the screen as it moves along.

I still really like my 1015. I've got Klipsch Synergy speakers which are real efficient, and a sub, so I have plenty of power, for my large room, but I can understand how some folks with less efficient speakers might want more "oomph!"

Go for it! Can't beat the price and the MCACC is the cats meow for a system like this.

6. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

Brian, they must have changed it for the 1015. You only need to run component to the TV for setup.

7. JeffLab

JeffLab Stunt Coordinator

Brian, it does indeed send the MCACC info through the component cables. I only have component cables attached and it displays fine through them. It simply supercedes whatever you have on display at that time.

8. Brian_D

Brian_D Agent

Ah well, then disregard my post [​IMG] Wish I would have waited for the 1015 now [​IMG]

9. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

1014 def passes it thru the component cable.
    811 is no where in same league as the 1014. NIGHT and day difference in sound quality ( I have both) even taking MCACC out of the picture (which I do not use anymore anyway).

10. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

Thanks Mikey, when you say Night and day difference, what do you mean? What did you notice in your everyday listening/viewing?

11. Anthony Liz

Anthony Liz Stunt Coordinator

I have a quick question regarding the 1015tx. I just added the speakers to make it a 7.1 system, but now, when I insert a 5.1 movie, the receiver automatically sets itself to D+PLIIx-Movie. It does a great job at detecting DTS (ES, ES Matrix, etc), and 5.1 EX, so I'm wondering if the settings it is choosing are correct for normal 5.1 discs.

thanks in advance

12. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

That all depends if you want it to create a 7.1 surround out of the 5.1 disc you are playing! You can use (I think) the Standard button on the remote to toggle through to play 5.1 or engage the PLIIx to create 7.1!

I just leave mine in PLIIx Movie for 5.1 and 6.1 movies and PLIIx Music for all non digital or stereo tracks. So most DVD menues will show PLiix Music but when the movie starts it switches to PLIIx Movie!

Wes