What's new

Hardware Review Pioneer Elite SC79 review (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Love this app on the phone sometimes...restarting reply....The LX57 is our 1523/SC75.One member here just bought the 1523 while it was $1000(would assume somebody else did as well).His only nit-pick is it looses a lot of power 5.1 to 5.1 + zone 2 use.(and not that it is underpowered, just requires it to be turned up quite a bit further than expected).I would be willing to bet the LX77 has a more robust power supply, more like the LX97(right model number?).Our SC79 had no issues running 7 channels(I never ran it on 9, when I connected the Thiele, it was as a 2nd zone. But I wasn't going to try a 7 channel soundtrack at the same time I was asking it to pound out some Felix Hell on a 4ohm load. I wouldn't task any AVR with that).

Klipscher

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Steve
I'm not sure about the model number...i'm kind of confuse bout which is which...but I google bout the Lc-75 it doesnt seems to support the DSD format...while the LX-57 i'm talking about is supporting dsd...So i guess it must be a new model....here is the model i'm talking about http://www.pioneer.my/ProductDetail/default.asp?ProductId=1433&CatId=64,9,100

I'm thinking the LC-75 must be the old LX-56 here... What we got here is LX-57, LX-77 and LX-87....the old one is LX-56, LX-76 and LX-86

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I said...Your LX57 is our 1523/SC75.I don't know how you are confused.Your LX77 is our SC75(there is no Pioneer version).The question is(cause I didn't know the number progression, cause I'm not up on foreign markets) If the LX87 is our SC79. If it were the LX97(hence why I had question marks)...it would have been obvious.

Klipscher

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Steve
Ohhh...thanks....but I'm confuse cause when I google i find out that the 1523/SC75 you mention doesnt support the DSD format while the LX-57 is supporting the format...so I'm thinking that the 1523/SC75 must be the the old LX-56....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not sure where you see the 1523/75 doesn't support DSD. Trust me. It does. (Pioneer is causing confusion in their "tech blurb" page. They show DSD over USB "trumping" HDMI support. That is wrong on their end)

Edit:
Been awhile since I've cared to look. If I remember right...Pioneer doesn't even mention DSD over HDMI, anywhere. What they do list is DSD over USB. Many assume(which is why the "tech blurb" has issues) that saying the DSD over USB "isn't there" on the 1523/75...means it isn't there at all.

Even I was led to believe, before I got this AVR, that the 79 only did DSD over USB(cause that is what the "tech blurb" leads you to believe).

I confirmed HDMI DSD is all the way down to the 1323(below that...haven't got a clue. Most people that care about DSD aren't spending

Klipscher

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Steve
Well, my main concern is movie...hence Klipsch.....

I'm stating the DSD support...just to shows that they are a differents receiver...but anyway, the 1523/75 is actually supporting dsd if you dig in deeper into the specs...but what i'm wondering is why the pioneer websites here clearly stated that the LX-57 is supporting dsd as one of their main feature but the specs of the 1523/75 doesnt even mention the dsd at all....One more thing is the LX-57 specs shows that it is THX Ultra Certified while the 1523/75 is just THX Plus....

Anyway, already bought the LX-57 as I could not justify the price of the LX-77 which is almost or may be more than double the price of the LX-57...as for the sounds from the movie...for me it sounds just the same...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would venture one reason for the THX difference is Pioneer simply orders 1 power supply for all the LX.I don't know Pio's worldwide sales, but I would fathom a guess 120/60 markets sell quadruple compared to 240/50.Ergo, more parts sharing. Pio is obviously not shorting the 87.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to add my recent experience to this thread. I took advantage of Best Buy / Magnolia's half price of $1499 on this receiver (coupled with the 36 month zero percent financing) and have swapped out my SC-05 with this. Just ran MCACC and am enjoying my first movie on it. Love the Airplay capability. Rather than having to hook up my iPod and navigating painfully through the hundreds of artists and albums, now I can just use my iTunes on my Macbook Pro to quickly and easily control what music I'm listening to. Just my first initial thoughts, after owning it for less than 24 hours.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm envious. I have the SC-77 that I bought a couple of months ago. It just got hooked up a couple of weeks ago and I paid more for it than you got the SC-79 for. :mellow:

I have been meaning to come back to this thread and give my impressions of the receiver in comparison to the SC-05 it replaces. It is the quietest receiver I've ever heard and it seems to me that with it setup the way it is now, that my sound has improved significantly (by enthusiast standards at least). My wife even noticed the improved sound although she is still irritated at me for not taking it back. Of course, I regret that too since I could've picked up the SC-79 or waited for the next big thing. I too love the Airplay function, BTW.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well Dave you can rest easy knowing the only reason they discounted it so much is because the new models are just around the corner, so we can both be jealous of the SC-87 and SC-89 in a month or so! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks