What's new

Pincushion effect on Sammy HLN617W DLP (1 Viewer)

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Over the last several months, I have observed a problem with my Sammy 61 inch DLP which seems to be getting worse. On 4 x 3 images, there is a pincushion effect so that the vertical bars are not exactly straight. The bars curve inward at the middle of the screen approximately 1/4 inch. This problem was not evident when I purchased the TV. The pincushion effect is also present with widescreen HDTV images and most noticeable in pictures with a lot of vertical lines (building walls, etc.).

I have read the Unofficial Guide to Samsung DLP sets by Arun Gupta and he mentions the pincushion effect as well, but does not provide a solution.

Has anyone else observed this problem with the Samsung DLP TVs? As a non-CRT display, I thought this TV would be immune to such effects. Is there a solution via the service menu, or should I call Samsung? All thoughts appreciated.

Elias

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
I've been doing a little reading to answer my question. It seems that some folks on AVS forum have noticed the same pincushion effect on Sammy DLP TVs. There appears to be a problem with the optical focusing; this cannot be fixed via the service menu. Anybody else have something to add?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks