What's new

Patrick McManus books as movies or a TV series, what do you think? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
For anyone that caught Field & Stream back in the day is familure with the genuious of Patrick McManus, and his misadventures growing up as a kid and beyond. It always puzzeled me that, as he went to writing books and becoming better known, no one thought to adapt these wonderful tales and yarns into either movies or a least a TV sitcom?? McManus is one of the fer authors that get you laughing and giggleing out loud, for me a true sign of powerful writting!! And which book did you first read and which ones are your favorites that you can go back again and again, mine was "They Shoot Canoes Don't They"....you?
There have been related sitcoms over the years, but non that diectly dirived thier storylines from his books. What do you think were the problems or issues, if any, that derailed the possibility of taking advantage of this wonderful collection of insight into the human condition? Asking for a friend...

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 64

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
The story, I think it was called "Blips", about the electronic fish-finder with the built-in, custom, genuine, seasoned outdoorsman personality emulator is just about the funniest short story McManus ever penned! The doofy device couldn't tell a large mouth bass from a tree stump, tried telling knock-knock jokes, cursed a blue streak, and sprouted paddles to avoid being "drowned". Dern thing followed him home after all that transpired! Not sure how that would translate to a visual medium.

The Red Green Show came close to the outrageous comical feel of these episodic, fantastical outdoorsy vignettes and character sketches.

Problem is, I can't imagine one living being who could portray an effective Rancid Crabtree. The late Howard Morris could've, maybe? Or, Ken Curtis?

"All you gotta do is wait for a gust of wi-i-i-i-i-i-i-i.....!!!"
"We never saw any moss-kee-toos. There were plenty of mosquitos, though."

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The story, I think it was called "Blips", about the electronic fish-finder with the built-in, custom, genuine, seasoned outdoorsman personality emulator is just about the funniest short story McManus ever penned! The doofy device couldn't tell a large mouth bass from a tree stump, tried telling knock-knock jokes, cursed a blue streak, and sprouted paddles to avoid being "drowned". Dern thing followed him home after all that transpired! Not sure how that would translate to a visual medium.

The Red Green Show came close to the outrageous comical feel of these episodic, fantastical outdoorsy vignettes and character sketches.

Problem is, I can't imagine one living being who could portray an effective Rancid Crabtree. The late Howard Morris could've, maybe? Or, Ken Curtis?

"All you gotta do is wait for a gust of wi-i-i-i-i-i-i-i.....!!!"
"We never saw any moss-kee-toos. There were plenty of mosquitos, though."
i still hold out hope!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks