What's new

Pat Metheny recommendations (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Can anyone recommend some Metheny CDs to get? Besides The Falcon and the Snowman soundtrack which I already own. I've read that Watercolors is classic and I'm tempted to buy it.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Pat Metheny's output is very varied. I have a few and enjoy them. I also had a couple that bored me and I sold back.

The one simply called "Pat Metheny Group" is a great one to start with- it's your basic PM jazz music and what made his solo/band-leader career.

Imaginary Day is very ambitious and kind of new-agy jazzy stuff. I like it very very much.

I also like the trio album he did a couple of years back called 99->00.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
"Bright Size Life" his first album from 1976.His best IMO
Jaco on bass[can't beat that]and Bob Moses on drums.A must have!

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
I vote for First Circle also, but my favorite is still American Garage. Another good one is Offramp, I think it won a Grammy.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I would recommend 'Still Life (Talking)'. This was his first album I bought and I was instantly hooked(in fact this is one of my "desert island" choices). I also recommend 'The Road to You'. It's a live album that was recorded at different shows in Europe. I also really loved 'Letter from Home'. More of the same as Still Life, great stuff.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
You are exactly right Mike. On the other hand, it didn't stop me from liking the album either :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. Funny thing is, I actually own the two big Grammy winners of the last two years (Steely Dan & Norah Jones).

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
I happen to love As Falls Whichita, So Falls Whichita Falls (which has music usd in the movie Fandango, which, so far has NOT shown up on on DVD yet) and Offramp. Both very laid back pieces of jazz.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
All of the titles mentioned are excellent. My personal favorite by Metheny is "Secret Story".

The fact that we have just 10 people mentioning 12 different Metheny albums here is a testament to the man's amazing talent & consistency over his quarter-century career.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks