What's new
Real Name
Elliot
I had a Pioneer HTP-072 package, which came with:
  • Pioneer VSX-324-K-P AV receiver (released 2013)
  • Pioneer S-22W-P passive subwoofer
  • The other speakers
The AV receiver died so I bought a Yamaha HTR-2071 AV receiver (released 2017) to replace it.

However, the Pioneer subwoofer no longer works when plugged into the Yamaha AV receiver.

Any ideas?

Pioneer HTP-072: Product page | Operating instructions
Yamaha HTR-2071: Owner's manual | Quick start guide

EDIT: I was actually wrong that the subwoofer was not working. When I feel the soft part (the cone thing), it's actually vibrating but it's very quiet.

This is the Yamaha HTR-2071's Setup (I've extended the relevant options):
  • Speaker
    • Configuration
      • Subwoofer (set to Use)
      • Front (set to Small)
      • Center (set to Small)
      • Surround (set to Small)
      • Crossover (set to 160Hz)
      • Subwoofer Phase (set to Normal)
      • Extra Bass
      • Virtual CINEMA FRONT (set to Off)
    • Distance
    • Level
      • Front L (set to 0.0dB)
      • Front R (set to 0.0dB)
      • Center (set to -1.0dB)
      • Surround L (set to -1.0dB)
      • Surround R (set to -1.0dB)
      • Subwoofer
    • Equalizer
    • Test Tone
  • HDMI
  • Sound
    • DSP Parameter
    • Liosync
    • Dialogue
    • Volume
      • Scale (set to dB)
      • Dynamic Range (set to Maximum)
      • Max Volume
      • Initial Volume
  • ECO
  • Function
If I change Extra Bass to On and the subwoofer level to 10dB, I can hear the subwoofer a lot more but it's still quiet compared to what I could get out of the original Pioneer VSX-324-K-P AV receiver.

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Took a quick look at the Yamaha setup, just confirming that you connected the subwoofer to the amplified subwoofer output and not the line-level output?

Real Name
Elliot
Took a quick look at the Yamaha setup, just confirming that you connected the subwoofer to the amplified subwoofer output and not the line-level output?
The subwoofer has two cables (black and red) so I connected them to the Subwoofer connectors on the back of the Yamaha HTR-2071 AV receiver. I'm thinking the new AV receiver doesn't have a subwoofer amplifier built in.

I have noticed there's a 'Pre Out Subwoofer' port but it appears to be a black RCA-kind of plug. The manual states it's "For connecting to a subwoofer (with built-in amplifier)", so I don't think that's for me.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Your Pioneer receiver was the rare one that came with a built-in amplifier for the subwoofer. The Yamaha does not have that feature (neither do the great majority of AVRs on the market). Thus the Pioneer subwoofer will require an outboard amplifier. Unless you have a spare one lying around, or can get something used dirt cheap it’s best to just get a powered subwoofer.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Real Name
Elliot
Your Pioneer receiver was the rare one that came with a built-in amplifier for the subwoofer. The Yamaha does not have that feature (neither do the great majority of AVRs on the market). Thus the Pioneer subwoofer will require an outboard amplifier. Unless you have a spare one lying around, or can get something used dirt cheap it’s best to just get a powered subwoofer.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I am hoping an amplifier is only £10 or something. I only need it to provide power to the subwoofer :P

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
IMG_6044.PNG

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

The instruction manual shows an amplified output on the Yamaha for a subwoofer.

Real Name
Elliot
View attachment 54858

The instruction manual shows an amplified output on the Yamaha for a subwoofer.
Even with the Subwoofer level set to 10 dB and Extra Bass on, the subwoofer hardly seems on, so something seemed wrong.

At the moment, I'm not using the Pre Out Subwoofer RCA connector as I have nothing to plug into it. The subwoofer only has cables that go into the Subwoofer spring clips.

Real Name
Elliot
Would something like this power the subwoofer?

The Pioneer HTP-072 package was £200 new from Richer Sounds. It was excellent and served me really well. True surround sound, good quality speakers for movies and a decent sub.

I only bought this £130 (new) AV receiver because the Pioneer AV receiver stopped working. I obviously didn't want to have to do that but I needed to or I'd have speakers in my room doing nothing.

I'm not now going to buy an active subwoofer, too, as they cost at least £180 and I don't need any more bass than what the S-22W-P passive subwoofer offered :(

Just a crappy situation.

I think the way forward for me is to find the cheapest way to power this subwoofer.

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Since your receiver has both speaker connections for a passive subwoofer and a pre-amp output jack for active subwoofers, you can use any subwoofer on (or off) the market.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks